9" WIDTH Question???

Hello Guys!!!

OK, so I am a Autoshop teacher in NC. We have a 79 Pontiac Grand LeMans Sport Wagon that we are currently building. We have been CHALLENGED by another High School in another county to a DRAG RACE between our classes.

Our wagon has a 7.5" with a 2:29 gear ratio. Dog off the line. We want to step up to a 9" with some different gear options for later power additions.

My QUESTION is....The factory housing flange width is 52.125". Can we safely order a 50" width 9" and use say a 4" BS wheel and be ok without having to do TOO much fab work to the frame rails? I'm ok with NARROWING the rear frame rails with the kits that are available in the aftermarket. I guess I just wanted to know IF anyone has ever used a 50" wide rearend is all??

I know 50" is about all we can narrow it because of the LOWER control arm brackets.

So, ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in ADVANCE!!

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada

52 1/4 to 52 3/8 on all the ones i've measured. Build your own. See my video above.

With a 50" rearend you would need to do a mini tub or use a wheel with 3" or less back spacing. Its a better learning experience to build the rearend than to do the frame notch / mini tub. By the way if you do decide to do a minitub don't buy pre-fab tubs. I did one last winter and i used light gage 45 gallon drums. They worked awesome and i did not need to modify the trunk hinges.
Brian

BTW - i think you mean backing plate flange or housing flange width not axle flange.

Last edited by a moderator:

juveteach

May 13, 2009
Concord NC
www.cabarrus.k12.nc.us
No sir it was not Moorseville High School. It was Davie County High School.

I was going to just buy a standard width, but figured that I'd ask 1st. I figured if I shortened it, I could run a wider wheel and tire package.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
With the stock set-up I've been able to run a 29.5x9x15 on a Regal. Don't know what kind of power you plan on making if you need to go bigger.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
What's nice about the turbo is that it will be soft on the bottom and help traction issues. I have no problem with my nine inch slicks - on 8 inch rims w/ 3.5 backspace

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!