Leaking from the timing cover

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
My 73 El Camino engine is leaking from the timing cover. I pulled the harmonic balancer and found 2 grooves in it. I bought a new balancer . This engine has 40,000 miles since it was rebuilt. Due to the grooves on the old balancer should go further replace seal in timing cover?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
if you're replacing the timing cover gasket that mates the cover to the block then yes,if you're changing just the seal that meets the balancer to the cover then no.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
with round seals like that I usually use a screwdriver and work around it bit by bit, then if it's flat across i'll use a mallet or hammer with a flat piece of something (block of wood, etc.), or if it has a protrusion as in your case I'll use a socket that's appropriately sized (will be pretty big in your case, probably well into the 30+mm)... no heavy hammer hits either, force it in on one side and you can distort the seal and be back where you started.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks guys. I was able to get it out. With my poor luck I tore the cover. So I ordered a new cover. This is my first time doing this so it's a good learning experience.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I received my new timing cover today. I put a new seal in it. I removed the water pump and some of the cover bolts. Hope to get more accomplished this evening.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!