Having problems with the rear main seal leaking.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I am having problems with the 2 piece rear main seal leaking on this 73 350. I've replaced it twice this past week. The first time I took a little of the seal off installing the top half. The second one I tried something different. I put the top half in leaving about 1/4" sticking out. I set the one in the cap to fit the top. I put permatex anaerobic sealer on the seal and the metal cap. After torquing everything thing down it still leaks. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this leak issue? Any thoughts are appreciated.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i was gonna ask if you tried offsetting the seals so the place they meet up isn't inline with the cap but if i understand your post correctly you might of already done that.also make sure the lip of the seal faces inward toward the bearing.are you using the same brand of seal every time?i wonder if the more expensive fel pro one is any nicer than another brand.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks for your reply. Yes it was the same seal both times. The place I bought them told me that this was the best model.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
I'm going to suggest checking out your breather - crankcase ventilation (PCV) to ensure your not getting too much crankcase pressure. I've used Fel Pro and never had a problem(installed flush). As mentioned the correct install - I question myself on this every time and have to double check with instructions. There are some vids if you google it.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. I'll check the pcv , breather. This engine has less than 2000 miles since I changed it, but I still need to do so.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
what size of motor is it? A 350 ? Has the block been line honed? Is the crank main journal in good shape? Has the crank been cut? Do you use the little tool to install the seal without tearing it? Are you using baffled valve covers? Baffles are supposed to keep the oil out of the breather / pcv valve.
Brian

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
It is a 350 out of a 73 El Camino. The valve cover is an Edelbrock billeted. I don't think it has any baffles. The oil is in the PVC valve, not the breather.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
If it turns out those valve covers aren't baffled and you want to try and see if that might be something they do sell the pcv/breather grommets that are baffled.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!