REMOVING PAINT FROM CYLINDER HEADS? ?????'S

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a pair of sbc vortec heads that have been painted chevy orange including the area where the intake gaskets go on them (intake runners) what is the best way to remove the paint from the intake runners area and intake gaskets area? THANKS

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Find a place that media blasts them with plastic media. Then wash them really good. I've done exactly this before (but on a swap meet intake manifold with multiple coats of engine enamel) and it worked out great.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Definitely. Rent a valve spring compressor from Autozone for free, if you don't have one. Plastic blast media shouldn't hurt anything, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Make sure you put back the valves in their respective places...don't mix anything up! Take a small box (like an old shoebox), and put the whole valve assembly (valve, spring, retainer, locks) front to back, and passenger and driver's side. Tell the blaster to NOT direct the media at the valve holes, or better yet, duct tape over the holes, or use rubber corks. They will be pretty when they're done! My intake looked literally brand new.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!