Cost to build thoughts... 12/10 bolt swap, 8.8/9" swap

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm looking at this just to get an idea on price range and rough cost for doing each, but unsure of other added things.

The specific plans for the rear are running a Truetrac, and being stock G-Body width, probably going to do some sort of factory style disc brakes, planning on GM style.

Other than those requirements - thoughts? Experiences?

I will probably wind up doing this when I build up the T-5.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I have a 9" in my 81 malibu. I built the housing myself from a JY core. Its not worth doing it that way for just one. It costs alot to build the jigs required to do it right. The housings from Currie, Moser, Strange or many others are a good deal. I would bite the bullet and do everything right. I hate buyers remorse which happens whenever i buy a lesser product to save a few bucks. I have a Strange pro-case pumpkin in mine with a detroit locker which i am really happy with. Also it doesn't cost much to move up to 35 spline axles. That way it will stand up to any amount of power i ever throw at it. I originally put a GN 8.5 in mine with 3.42 gears and a stock posi unit. It worked good but i was afraid of breaking it because it was so rare and valuable. I sold it for $1500 which was a great start on my 9" and i don't worry about breaking it. I always read stuff like this by american guys and think, if you only knew how much more difficult and exspensive this hobby is up here in Canada!! If i lived in the states i would have all the best parts in my car because they are cheap down there!
Brian

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
I was offered a factory 9" for $250. I started doing some digging into the cost to have it narrowed and straightened, getting good parts into it, putting the correct ears on it for control arms, and coming up with brakes for it and I was within $200 of buying a bolt in set up from Trick Chassis. I'll pay the couple extra and have one built from a strange or moser housing stuffed with good parts and know I'll never likely break it. I also noticed that Trick Chassis has an housing flange to accept an F-body brake. I'd junkyard a set F-body drums and keep my master cylinder the same if it was me.

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
When I was in the market for a rear end for my malibu I was looking around and looked at the cost to rebuilt the stock rear end vs a 8.5 then ford 9. Since I was going to go with ls1 rear disc from the get go. Ford 9 was the cheapest way to go and there's no worries when you put power to it if it will last or blow up. I had a guy that built the housing with gm bearing ends then spent the rest on a takeout nascar 9inch pumpkin with Moser axles.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I had great luck and it was cheap for the 12 bolt swap. Used the iceman 12 bolt swap arms, different b/s rims, driveshaft and that's all i had to do.
Traded my old 7.5 10 bolt and a fridge for the 67 12 bolt.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!