How to adjust valve lash

82wagon

Weekend Racer
Mar 31, 2010
Just wanted to see how everyone adjusts valve lash on their cars, street strip and racing applications. Looking for the best way and most reliable. Hydraulic flat tappet, roller and solid. On a new engine and an engine that's already been running. I know there are many ways to do this just want to see how everyone here does it. Thanks and I look forward to some good tech tips.

YAV8

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2014
Manitiowc, Wisconsin
With the motor at TDC I spin the push rods with my fingers until they stop turning on all 16. I then give the motor 1/2 turn and do the same on any push rods that are loose. Then another 1/2 turn and adjust the push rods the same. Then another 1/2 turn and adjust again and lastly the last 1/2 turn and again any that are loose are adjusted. The cam turn 1/2 the speed as the crank, that's the reason the the 4 half turns. With the 16 rockers set I then give each one 3/4 turn and its ready to go. I have done 100s this way and never had a problem. As always they seam to run rough for the first few minutes and then settle down. This is for a hyd. lifter not solids.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
This came with my Blueprint engine

Valve Adjustment
⦁ A good place to start is rotate crankshaft until mark on harmonic balancer aligns with center or ``O'' mark on timing tab, attached to crankcase front cover, and piston of No. 1 cylinder is at top dead center of compression stroke. This may be determined by placing fingers on the valves for No. 1 cylinder as timing mark on damper nears the ``O'' mark on front cover. If valves do not move, engine is in the No. 1 firing position. If valves move, the engine is in the No. 6 firing position and should be rotated an additional revolution.
⦁ With valves in No. 1 firing position, adjust valves as described in step 3.
⦁ Loosen the nut, then while spinning the pushrod with two fingers, tighten the nut until the pushrod stops spinning easily zero lash then tighten the nut another half to three-quarter of a turn.

⦁ If you are sure that the engine is at #1 TDC the following valves can be adjusted:       
Exhaust - #1, #3, #4, #8
Intake - #1, #2, #5, #7
Rotate the crank 360 degrees and set the other half of the valves
Exhaust - #2, #5, #6, #7
Intake - #3, #4, #6, #8
⦁ Install rocker arm covers torque bolts to 10 foot pounds, then start engine and check idle speed and ignition timing.

Like you said there are other ways. One other way is to do them one pair at a time.

This is how I did it

Turn the motor until the exhaust opens and adjust the intake checking the pushrod like it says above.Then the the reverse. Someone told me to go through them twice and I'm glad I did because some felt better the second time. Same guy had me tighten the adjuster just 1/4 turn after the push rod was right I did that as well. I'm happy.

I had not done it in about 25 years but it came out right.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!