Factory 7.5 questions...

80MalibuDrag

Daily Driver
Jun 24, 2016
Trenton Ga
Im thinking about building the rear end that is already in my car. I was thinking about putting strange axles and a 4.88 gear with a mini spool. But then i was thinking about possibly using the Jegs brand axles. Also going to just put some decent shocks, new coil springs, and some adjustable lower and upper control arms. My plans is to backhalf with a ladder bar settup with a 12 bolt, strange axles, and a 5.13 gear. What is the best, cheapest way to build a factory 7.5 rear end and rear suspension settup

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
Scrap the 7.5 and go get a mustang 8.8 is about the easiest option. Putting money into a 7.5 is not worth it unless you find a built one for a couple hundred dollars.

80MalibuDrag

Daily Driver
Jun 24, 2016
Trenton Ga
I would put an 8.8 in it but i dont want to do much work to a rear end till i got the money to build my rear end right. I have 3 kids and cant afford to just drop the money all at once. So i am just looking for a way to get it running till i got the kinks worked out of my motor

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
lilbowtie said:
Your talking about throwing a bunch of money @ the 7.5 - Just what power you talking about.

Im with him. Dont put any money in the 7.5 and dont put sticky tires on it.

What are prices?
axles $275
Minispool $150
Gears $200
Rebuild kit and bearings $175
Axle seals/bearings/lube and other misc. $200

These are a guess in prices but you will have $800-1000 in a junk rear.

And it wont last at all unless you are good at setting it up or have someone good to do it. if your paying to have it done there goes another $500.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i've been where you are. didn't want to spend the money on something stronger.....put a few bucks into the 7.5" instead. broke an axle on the first full throttle launch at the track. I'd put the money towards a better rear end.

80MalibuDrag

Daily Driver
Jun 24, 2016
Trenton Ga
I have set up alot of rear ends. Im leaning more towards just backhalfing it and being done with it. Im not sure if i want to ladder bar or 4 link it. I personally am thinking ladder bar with a build 12 bolt. Ford rear ends are strong, but i dont want to give ford guys the ability to say that the car wouldnt go if it wasnt for the ford rear end. I have come to the conclusion of a 12 bolt rear end with big spline strange axles with a full spool and 5.13 gears c clip eliminator and wilwood disk brakes. Im not sure how much power im talking but i got a 13.1 compression full roller 383 with fully forged bottom end. 630 comp sollid roller cam. fully ballanced and a 950 holley carb on a high rise intake and im about to order the kit for a 150 shot. its an 1/8th mile bracket car.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
shadychevyowner said:
lilbowtie said:
Your talking about throwing a bunch of money @ the 7.5 - Just what power you talking about.

Im with him. Dont put any money in the 7.5 and dont put sticky tires on it.

What are prices?
axles $275
Minispool $150
Gears $200
Rebuild kit and bearings $175
Axle seals/bearings/lube and other misc. $200

These are a guess in prices but you will have $800-1000 in a junk rear.

And it wont last at all unless you are good at setting it up or have someone good to do it. if your paying to have it done there goes another $500.

had my 7.5 done up few years back...mind you at the time I was not anticipating removing the 229 v6

Detroit TrueTrac
AllStar gears (got into it and the factory pinion was bad...go figure)
all new bearings and seals
TrickFlow cover
new backing plates & all new brake hardware (got ttype aluminum drums for free)

parts and labor 1500...I could of did the brakes...but since he was already setting the gears up I had him do it all so I didn't have to deal with it

Now I know its a ticking time bomb with my turbo 267

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
80MalibuDrag said:
I have set up alot of rear ends. Im leaning more towards just backhalfing it and being done with it. Im not sure if i want to ladder bar or 4 link it. I personally am thinking ladder bar with a build 12 bolt. Ford rear ends are strong, but i dont want to give ford guys the ability to say that the car wouldnt go if it wasnt for the ford rear end. I have come to the conclusion of a 12 bolt rear end with big spline strange axles with a full spool and 5.13 gears c clip eliminator and wilwood disk brakes. Im not sure how much power im talking but i got a 13.1 compression full roller 383 with fully forged bottom end. 630 comp sollid roller cam. fully ballanced and a 950 holley carb on a high rise intake and im about to order the kit for a 150 shot. its an 1/8th mile bracket car.

Honestly with the technology in tires today I wouldn't even bother back halving a car anymore unless it is for looks or to try and hook on the street. I have seen some insanely consistent 9 sec 1/4 mile Gbodys with just a frame notch and control arms and shocks with 28-10.5 slicks. Gbodys have a very nice suspension setup from factory that works very well with some upgrades.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!