Backhalf Rear End Settup

80MalibuDrag

Daily Driver
Jun 24, 2016
Trenton Ga
Im looking into back halfing my car im building. I was thinking about running a 13" wide slick with either a 9 inch or a 12 bolt. Not sure which rear end i want to build yet. But im also not sure if im going to do a Ladder Bar set up or an actual 4 link setup. It will be strictly a drag car. Who else is running a backhalf malibu with 13 inch slicks? What is your opinion of both set ups? Can you post pics of your backhalfed malibus? And what length will my rear end need to be with what backspace wheel to run a 13 inch et slick on a malibu.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
S&W race cars makes a G-body specific back half kit. Might be worth checking out. If you are going to all the trouble you should build for a 14x32 because thats a real common size.
Brian

80MalibuDrag

Daily Driver
Jun 24, 2016
Trenton Ga
prairiehotrodder said:
S&W race cars makes a G-body specific back half kit. Might be worth checking out. If you are going to all the trouble you should build for a 14x32 because thats a real common size.
Brian
Well Brian thats one size i was looking at as well. But I would like to do as much of it as i could myself. Try to safe some money. And i dont really want to have to pay someone to set my rear end up when if i knew how wide i would need and the back spacing that was needed on the wheels i could order a moser axle housing that is the right length that i need.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Don't restrict the car to any one size tire. If you are backhalving the car, then do it to fit a common tire. So set the rails and tubs up to accommodate a big tire, like a 15X33 so that way either you or someone that buys the car can use a big tire just by modifying wheel backspace. But for your goals right now buy the tires and wheels you want to run and build the car around them. Make the rear as short as you can by utilizing the smallest backspace you can get. That will lighten the housing and the axles. My 70 was built to use a 16X32 tire. The only thing that limited the 33" tall was cutting the wheelwell opening up more to fit it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!