Need help... BAD wheel hop!!

78_Landau

Daily Driver
May 15, 2016
So, I have a 78 Malibu I just picked up two weeks ago. Basically stock 350 with a 350 trans and stock rear. I found a 7.5 inch 10 bolt posi rear with 3.73 gears so I bought it and last night put it in. Went out for a ride, it runs awesome but I went to do a burnout with the car (at the request of my 15 year old lol) and man, I thought it was gonna shake the whole car apart I had wheel hop really bad. Now it didnt do this when I had the open rear in the car. The car sits up slightly in the back, the guy I bought it from said he was going for the old school look and he installed I think it was springs from a wagon. Could this be my issue? I did it once more while I had my son watch and he said the tires looked like they were bouncing. Like I said, going down the road normally I have no issues. Not even when I pull out hard. Just when doing a burnout. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

YAV8

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2014
Manitiowc, Wisconsin
Saw a monte at the track the other night do the same thing. I found out later the kid had a set of air shocks jacked up tight so he could get a set of tall tires under the wheel wells. Sounds like mabe the same thing with the stiffer springs. Hard to transfer weight with stiff spring or over inflated air shocks.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
You need tubular control arms and a rear sway bar. Or do the low buck thing and just put new tubular lowers on and box your uppers with some 14 gage sheet metal. Don't over-tighten the pivot bolts. They have lock nuts.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Lower the car down. The rear suspension bars are pointed so far up that it's forcing the tire so hard and fast that the tire and shock can't control it.

78_Landau

Daily Driver
May 15, 2016
Thanks for the input fellas, one thing I think I wanna definitely do is get those heavy springs off. And you know what, Prairiehotrodder mentioned a good point. I may have over tightened the pivot bolts. I even saw they were locknuts and not thinking torqued everything tight.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Last edited by a moderator:

78_Landau

Daily Driver
May 15, 2016
Last edited by a moderator:

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
78_Landau said:
Thanks for the input fellas, one thing I think I wanna definitely do is get those heavy springs off. And you know what, Prairiehotrodder mentioned a good point. I may have over tightened the pivot bolts. I even saw they were locknuts and not thinking torqued everything tight.

also, make sure you tighten your control arm bolts with the suspension at ride height.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!