BROKEN OFF 700R4 BELLHOUSING? ???'S

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
My bellhousing has broke completely off my 700r4 transmission can it be welded back on and holdup,the break is clean with no gaps and could bad motor mounts have caused the bellhousing to Crack all the way around? THANKS :(

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
junk it. - Could be any of the following - motor mounts, transmission mount, U-joint, drive shaft, cracked / flexing frame, etc....

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
The transmission cracked all the way around after the engine and transmission were installed in the El Camino with the driveshaft cut three inches (which was so tight to get the driveshaft in that I had to remove two of the caps on the rear u joint to get It in the rearend) and after cranking and running the engine engine also had movement due to bad motor mounts, all this while the El Camino was jacked up in the rear supported by Jack stands.THANKS

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
That sucks, and I am sorry to hear it happened. Your description indicates something is not right.

What type of motor mounts are you using?
What type of transmission mount are you using? The transmission mount should not be stiffer than the motor mounts.

Did you measure the driveshaft between joint centerlines when you got it back to be sure it was cut 3 inches? It should not have been difficult to install if cut 3 inches.

Is the rear suspension stock, so that the rear axle is in the original location?

Is the engine in the correct stock location?

Did you have any difficulties installing the transmission crossmember?

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
The motor mounts are stock, the transmission mount is stock I use an iceberg 700R4 crossmember and also measured the drive shaft to correct length,stock suspension I just don't know what the problem was or is and I'm afraid to install another transmission and it breaks at the same place.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Something isn't right - could have been cracked when you put it in, any assembly problems, did you check if the drive shaft had clearance @ ride height. As 81 said look into an Ultra Bell.

As others have mentioned, the transmission case cannot be repaired. You're going to need to get your transmission re-cased or replace the unit entirely.

Worn-out or broken engine mounts will definitely contribute to this type of failure, but if all this happened while running the car on jack stands and this is the only use the transmission has seen in that car then the case was likely already cracked to begin with.

Also, you need to get your driveshaft shortened some more. The driveshaft should easily install without the need to remove the u-joint caps. If you drive the car with the driveshaft at the current length then the slip yoke is going to bottom out against the output shaft during normal suspension articulation when driving over uneven surfaces, bumps, etc. This will result in damaged bushings, thrust washers, and even hard parts within the transmission. A proper length driveshaft should slide out of the transmission 3/4-inch to 1-inch in order to seat the rear u-joint into the pinion yoke.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
When I installed the drive shaft into the car it had like 1 inch away from the tailhousimg and when it was inserted I guess the caps or just too big or something to go in the rear but they eventually went in when I took them off and put them back on and when the car was put in gear the engine had a lot of movement up and down

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!