T-5 swap - driveshaft length

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So I finally located a suitable T-5 today, still trying to get ahold of the seller. In the meantime I had a question about the driveshaft. I've read it needs to be shortened, but I'm considering getting a larger diameter factory driveshaft. I've seen aluminum shafts in later ('90s+) full size trucks/SUVs, so I was thinking of finding one cheap and having a local shop cut/balance it to fit the car. Does anyone have a length (u-joint to u-joint) required for a T-5/7.5" combination?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There is a reason why GM added the additional 1/2 inch. If the shaft is too short, you will have less yoke engagement with the transmission. I don't think 49 is a good compromise for 49.5.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
That would require getting under the car and measuring properly. If the shaft is shorter than stock, what will happen at full suspension drop? A shaft that is 1/2 inch too short could be a problem and bind. Be smart and get the proper length shaft.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'll do 3" for now. I picked up a B-Body 8.5" a couple weeks ago and plan on using it, but for now I need to get it to driving capability asap for the wedding (not sure how much work the 8.5 will be to fit yet). Plus I may be attempting to build a 3-link setup using the upper ears and adding a watts link.

Way I see it, regardless if it's lowered or not, the bumpstop is still in the same spot, and like you said about the extension of the suspension, may as well not take the chance.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!