383 Stroker Kit

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
Damn, that kit looks too good to be true! The kit cost about the same as the "street" kit I had in my 383. And that was with hypereutectic pistons, 5140 I-beams and a cast crank. I'd be interested if anyone has experience with this kit as well.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah I'd say that's a good price, hard to say about the rods since they say "our" rods in the ad, but everything else looks good. I have the same crank in my 383, and that's not the first time I've heard of the eBay vendor.

1978AL

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2013
FLINT MICHIGAN
One of the things I`ve been wondering about is the 7/16 rod bolts..how much more clearance would ya have to cut on the block? would it be an issue maybe?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
With the shape of those rods it may not require as much. The SCAT Pro-Comp rods have a little more room for strokers, where I have the Pro-Stock, which had to be clearanced for.
scat-rods-procomp.jpg

scat-rods-prostock.jpg

Also, I measured all the journals on my crank and rods before install, and everything was dead on or within .0005".

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
How much power it can be handle with this kit, asuming a good quality one.
What is better, an internaly or externaly balanced engine kit...

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The H-beams Skip & most others use are Procomp brand in that price range.
I've used the Internal Bal. 9000 Cranks, rated @500HP in 383s & 406s but, with the Scat Pro-Comp I-beams. Little to no Block clearancing in 2-piece RMS blocks. Haven't had to clearance any 1-piece RMS blocks. Don't know about with the H-beams.
X2 on the Scat's measuring dead on. One of the few imports that are machined in the US.
Also Internal balance isn't a dead give away. ;)

Kryleo

Jul 27, 2018
California,Santa Clara
I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice
They sell kits for what you were thinking of doing. It would give you alot of low end torque. I heard good things if done correctly. Compression ratio and type of pistons is key. I'm pretty sure you basically use a 400 crank,pistons,rods with some machining so 350 block can accept it. Also, the deck may have to be machined unless you go with AFR aluminum high output heads which could gain you as much as another 100 horse and you might not be forced to have the deck machined on the original 350 block. Problem is that they are expensive Best 383 Stroker Kit Reviews: Only 5 Out of 85 for February 2020! Depends how far you want to go with it. There are other concerns with clearances on the piston rod caps. I think they have to be ground for clearance. I think the kit takes this all into account instead of paying a machine shop to machine,balance. Depends on condition of cylinders. Are they at standard bore? Are they out of round? I think they take it 30 over for the 383. Not sure. So if you were to do all of the above you definitely should have the block checked out before putting a dime into it. Pretty sure a light build 383 stroker engine puts out approx. 400-450 horsepower but they go higher depending again what you want to spend. I would say you could spend on the low end maybe $2500-$3000 depending on how much you are capable of doing or are willing to do. The high end could easily reach $7000 upward. If you plan on going above 500 horse, the block should be a 4 bolt main. I think a two bolt main is good to around 500 horse. The block you have might be able to be machined to a 4 bolt. Not sure, but I think so. Just more money. Also, be careful what drive you attach all that power to. I believe the Alpha Ones are only good for up to about 300 horse. Maybe a little more for some high performance Alpha's . Not sure of that either. It really depends on how much you are able to or are willing to do on the build along with issues concerning cost. I would try and keep the compression ratios on the lower end. High compression engines and a marine environment could get expensive really quick! lol You want max torque at low rpms, the right type cam,pistons,rods,etc. so the engine will last not self destruct. You need something reliable. I would love to build a 383 but have not been able to come up with the money,time,block. good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!