Floor to firewall seam question

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I got a few replies to my question about putting my motor in but Im still not sure about one thing. Where do I need to start as far as trimming the lip of the floor to firewall seam so I will have enough clearence to get the 400 turbo in there ? Is it just where its recessed ? And how far back ? Should I reweld the seam from the inside after I trim it or will it be OK the way it is ? Its been trimmed already but only up to the spotwelds. Anyone have any pictures ???

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You should be fine. I have pulled and installed several motors and transmission combinations in my wagon without ever trimming the lip. It just makes life a little easier during installation, and makes getting at the bolts easier if you ever pull separately.

malibu101

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Walnutport PA
Supe said:
You should be fine. I have pulled and installed several motors and transmission combinations in my wagon without ever trimming the lip. It just makes life a little easier during installation, and makes getting at the bolts easier if you ever pull separately.

YES it does!
I trimmed mine back for this very reason one time while the engine was out.
I too only went to the spot welds and I remember adding a few small welds at a few spots since I did not care about smoothing the firewall or anything.

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
Just like Malibu101 said just go to the spot welds, and you will be fine. Trimming it does make it a whole lot easier to get to the bell housing bolts too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!