3-link using uca 'ears'... strength?

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
Id look into what the s-10 guys use for top link mounts for air suspension. They use a bracket that uses all the case bolts in the cover. Welding top mounts on a cast center section it sketchy like that fbody rear. Or you could weld a steel brace across the top and weld ears to that like the 4wd guys use but there is not alot of room above the rear in the car.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
No welding on the case, the bracket would bolt to the upper ears and locate the upper arm in the center. I'm up in the air about keeping regular bushings or doing a solid mount, which would probably transmit more vibration.

I'm considering finding a cover that would be the center pivot for the watts link and attempting to build my own, but I'll keep the diff cover option in mind... though I'd probably see if they would just do a single mount in the center instead of two (first result I found, I'm sure there are other vendors).
S10_Bolt-On_Differential_Bracket_0.jpg

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
Doober said:
No welding on the case, the bracket would bolt to the upper ears and locate the upper arm in the center. I'm up in the air about keeping regular bushings or doing a solid mount, which would probably transmit more vibration.

I'm considering finding a cover that would be the center pivot for the watts link and attempting to build my own, but I'll keep the diff cover option in mind... though I'd probably see if they would just do a single mount in the center instead of two (first result I found, I'm sure there are other vendors).
S10_Bolt-On_Differential_Bracket_0.jpg

Yep that is what i was talking about. Just make sure however you decide you research a bunch into control arm lengths and pinion angle movement. Would suck to spend alot of time and money to have something that doesnt work right.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That's part of why I decided to try this. I read of a couple other people attempting it, but the upper arms were bout 3" or so shorter, but that would make the pinion move a whole lot when the rear moves up and down. This way I can make the arm whatever length I want (within reason) to best match the length of the lower arms.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober now that I see your sketch I jave a better understanding of what you mean.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Last edited by a moderator:

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
That just made for a cheaper way to get an 8.5" 10 bolt! To the junk yard!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts