BROKEN OFF 700R4 BELLHOUSING? ???'S

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
I haven't seen that converter requirements for the Ultra Bell - they are suppose to fit a stock converter.
They will handle up to a 12 in converter.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
Got contacted Ultra Bell and they said or 10 inch or smaller converter is required and a stock converter will not fit the bellhousing because of the thickness

lilbowtie said:
I haven't seen that converter requirements for the Ultra Bell - they are suppose to fit a stock converter.

This is not correct. An Ultra Bell will definitely not accept a 12-inch torque converter. You can barely fit a 265mm converter in some of those bell housings.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Pete@Hughes said:
lilbowtie said:

This is not correct. An Ultra Bell will definitely not accept a 12-inch torque converter. You can barely fit a 265mm converter in some of those bell housings.

I was going by what I was told when I bought mine and have the paper work that says they will fit - obviously the 700r4 isn't included. I have lots of room in mine.

J.W. Performance Transmission Inc.

May 7, 2012 ·

What size torque converter can I use with the GM style "Ultra-Bell"?
The "Ultra-Bell" to fit GM engines will accomodate most OEM style torque converters. Generally an 11" or 10" is the best bet, but you can use a 12" torque converter. The GM "Ultra-Bell" is available for Powerglide, Turbo-Hydro 350, Turbo-Hydro 400, 700-R4 and AOD transmissions to traditional GM engines and the new LS engines. The AOD is only available for the traditional GM engines. More details will be available over this week regarding markets where the "Ultra-Bell" is used and SFI certification.

Attachments

• IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 2,625
I have yet to find a 12-inch core that will fit a JW bell housing regardless of what their instructions say. There's plenty of radial clearance, but not enough axial clearance.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!