9 inch options. Need help deciding

rapidride3

Amateur Racer
Mar 8, 2008
Saint Louis
Have a goal of building "somewhat of a sleeper" I plan on running a pump-gas 496 in a 10-inch tire malibu, steel heads, dual-plane intake 4150 carburetor, cheapy chrome steel valve covers, possibly column shift, 2-tone paint.

I want it to look like a 12 second car. However It should really be at least 630-650 hp WITHOUT a 250 hp kit.
All in all i'm hoping for mid to high 9's in a 12 second looking car

I am wanting to run a bolt in 9 inch rear housing.

QUESTION: Can i run say a fab 9 housing etc with poly bushings, STOCK suspension points/brackets, and stock type shocks and not have any problems in the mid to high 9 second zone?

Do i really need harsh metal spherical bearings, coil overs, anti-roll bar, etc for mid to high 9 second e.t.'s?????? Thanks in advance

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
i would put in tubular lower control arms and box the uppers. Then use the biggest stock rear sway bar you can find as a minimum. Poly bushings are fine. It also might be a good idea to brace or gusset the control arm mounting points on the car. A fab 9 kinda gives away your 12 second look.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Poly bushings are a no-go regardless of application. They bind on a triangulated four link suspension like G-bodies have. They'll eventually turn to mush, too.

Tommy

rapidride3

Amateur Racer
Mar 8, 2008
Saint Louis
Any options to harsh, noisy spherical metal bushings? This car will be a full interior street car. I'd rather hear the engine or even the radio than clunking suspension bushings..

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
rapidride3 said:
Any options to harsh, noisy spherical metal bushings? This car will be a full interior street car. I'd rather hear the engine or even the radio than clunking suspension bushings..

Any suspension parts with Delalum bushings are quiet. Heim joints are almost always noisy. I wouldn't use them for anything other than steering linkages on a street driven car.

Tommy

WeekendWarrior

Frequent Racer
Nov 23, 2009
Stratford, CT
i run the trick chassis fab housing with all heim joints (double adjustable uppers and lowers), their anti roll bar, and strange coil overs. driving around on the street i usually set the rear shocks loose for a nice ride. other than that, the car handles awseome with the anti roll bar and no sway bar up front.

but if youre going with all heim joints, you MUST use an anti roll bar, the car will twist like crazy without it. and you dont NEED coil overs, i know people that run in the 8s with stock shock/spring location set ups.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!