coolant left in block

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i broke my engine is with distilled h20 and I'm gonna change it over to antifreeze.my plan is to pull the lower hose and drain it.does anyone have any idea how much is left in the block?i was just thinking about it today.if it's not much left there I'll just keep the w/the 50/50.i might be giving this to much thought also

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Pretty sure the jacket goes down almost all the way to the pan rail, so pretty much from the water pump holes in the block to the pan rail. I'm not sure about earlier blocks, but later model blocks have plugs on either side, one side is usually used for the knock sensor, but if you drain from there you'll have drained pretty much everything from the block.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hmm i don't know if they'll come out.or if i want to chance it.thanks guys.

YAV8

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2014
Manitiowc, Wisconsin
Their is usually about two quarts in each side if you don't pull the lower plugs. Just drain the block with the lower hose and then use a heaver dose of antifreeze then you are refilling. Be sure to run the motor so the water and antifreeze get mixed before you shut it off.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
2 quarts on each side is about 1/2 of the total coolant capacity, which is about 2 gallons. I agree with Yav8; put straight antifreeze in equaling 1/2 of the total coolant capacity, and then top off with water.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
its odd,with a dry motor,dry heater core,dry radiator, and a dry overflow it took almost 4 gallons.more than I'm use to seeing @ work for sure.(my a/c condenser's bigger than these radiators..ok not really) if it's got 2 qts per side that's 4 qts making say a gallon in the motor/heater core.I'm thinking I'll drain it,put in one gallon straight,cut the other gallon 50/50 top off.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You are right; I should have looked it up instead of using my old memory. The total capacity is 16.7 quarts for a small block and AC, or 4 gallons. So you need to put in 2 gallons of straight antifreeze and then top off with water.

If you have AC and heavy duty cooling, the total capacity is 17.4 quarts.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts