Shifter and ECM mounting, Coolant system bleeding,11-15-09

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Got the B&M Hammer shifter installed (partially) so I can move the car around. Sorry, Slimbo, I already purchased it before I got the feedback from you.... So far it seems OK, I may have to re-route the cable, it seems a little stiff.

Shifter_mounted.jpg

As you can see in the picture above, I've got some rust issues in the floorpan. I'm debating on just patching them or getting full pans. I then permanently mounted the ECM on the driver's side wheelwell.

ECM_mounted.jpg

I still need to install and plumb the A/C components. Also, I don't think the stock hood is going to fit. I am going to try that this week. Anyway, here's a some "completed" engine shots:

Engine_driver_side.jpg

Engine_passenger_side.jpg

When I first took it for a "ride" down the street and back, the coolant temp started creeping over 210. I shut it down immediately. This engine should have a 210 degree thermostat in it from the factory. So, I got to checking things out, and noticed the upper and lower radiator hoses were cool. So, the thermostat was not opening. After talking with some guys on here, I found that I needed to bleed the cooling system. I did this by disconnecting the upper radiator hose and tried to put coolant in, but it would not take. So, I had to disconnect a small hose that I ran from the throttle body to one of the radiator tanks. Actually, the hose originates from the crossover tube on the front of the engine between the two cylinder heads, See this picture to get an idea of where it is located:

crossover_tube_connection.jpg

From there, it connects to the bottom of the throttle body, then out the other side:

bypass_2.jpg

bypass_3.jpg

Then, I routed this to the passenger side radiator tank. There was a 1/8" NPT port that was plugged. I removed it, installed a 1/4" nipple and connected the bypass hose here:

bypass_radiator_tank.jpg

To bleed the system, I took this hose off at the throttle body, which is the highest point in the cooling system:

bypass_tb.jpg

After that, I could fill the engine block with coolant through the upper radiator hose. When coolant started coming out of the throttle body fitting, I sealed up everything. After the coolant got up to temp, the thermostat opened and coolant started flowing through the radiator. Although, the temp would not run over 195, even with the cooling fan not running. Strange? :-k

The electric fan thermostat is not the factory ECM controlled setup, it is an aftermarket setup. I adjusted it to kick on at 195 (low speed). The temp gauge would indicate between 180 and 195 the whole time. I'm wondering if it is running too cool? Doesn't the ECM go into an open loop until the coolant temp reaches a certain level? What is the temp that it goes into closed loop? Or do I even know what I'm talking about?? :-k

Anyway, I drove it around for about 15 minutes and it is running great. \:D/ Jesse at Wait4Me programmed the ECM for 3.23 gears, so the speedo is WAY off. I have the gears, just haven't installed them yet. I believe it has 2.41 gears, but not sure. It would light the tire up (no posi) at about a 30 MPH kickdown. \:D/

One more gratuitous shot of the gauges (I kinda' like how they turned out):

gauges_through_steeringwheel.jpg

My son and wife both are complaining about the exhaust "smell" without catalytic converters, so I'm probably going to get universal cats installed. Also I need to get the exhaust shop to move/bend the driver's side exhaust manifold down pipe to give a little more room between the pipe and the remote oil filter lines. No biggie.

So, I'll close this update with a few pictures of the Malibu since I was able to back it out of the garage on it's own power. The front end is a little "jacked up". My Dad installed spring spacers to lift the front because the wide tires on the front would rub when at full turn. I definitely plan on removing those when I get the 17" wheels and tires installed. Also, you can see the GN style exhaust exits in the rear. Excuse the one year of dust buid-up. :oops:

drivers_side.jpg

passenger_side.jpg

driver_rear.jpg

passenger_rear.jpg

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Re: Update 11-15-09

Looks great Phillip! I am glad to see it out of the garage and moving.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Re: Update 11-15-09

Lookin Good there Phil.. from looking at those last few pictures, I'm with you on the factory hood not working.
Is it common for the LS based engines to sit up that high?, or is it the mount setup?

Also....... Where are the burnout videos..?? :)

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Shifter, ECM mount and Coolant bleeding 11-15-09

GreenDragginBu said:
Lookin Good there Phil.. from looking at those last few pictures, I'm with you on the factory hood not working.
Is it common for the LS based engines to sit up that high?, or is it the mount setup?

Also....... Where are the burnout videos..?? :)

Not sure. It could be the engine mounts?? I don't know if it could go much lower, though. The Moroso oil pan has very little clearance to the crossmember as it is. I may be able to clear if I take the Vortec intake cover off. We'll find out soon....

Burnout video coming soon! lol_sign.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!