Dash and Gauge Cluster update

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Not much, but I'm starting to get the interior back together. Here's a before shot:

P1100475.JPG

Here's what it looked like today before I got started:

dash_removed.jpg

My son wants the interior to be black. So, here's the parts I needed to dye black:

parts_to_dye.jpg

Here's the dash installed after it has been dyed black:

dash_dyedblack_installed.jpg

If you remember from WAY back, I purchased Autometer Phantom gauges. They are installed in a custom gauge panel, here's what they look like:

gauges_dash.jpg

I'm mounting the oil pressure and volts gauge in the gauge panel cover (bottom right-hand-corner). See below:

gauge_pod_cover.jpg

I had to break out the cut-off wheel and hack-up the factory gauge cluster backing to make room for the speedo and tach. Obviously, the gauge cluster is not re-usable after these modifications:

gauge_pod_modified.jpg

Here's a shot of what it will look like when installed. Notice the oil pressure and volts gauge in the lower-right-hand corner. If you look close, you will also see a small LED between the two gauges. This will be the "check engine" light. I will mount the OBDII connecter below the dash to retrieve codes.

complete_gauge_cluster.jpg

Here's the gauges installed in the dash and connected. Everything is working and looks really good if I do say so myself. You can see the high beam LED on in this shot. I don't have the oil pressure and volts gauges installed in this shot. I haven't installed the gauge pod cover yet....

gauges_dash_working.jpg

Here's a short video I did to show operation. Please right click and "save as".
http://www.maliburacing.com/josh_malibu/11-11-09/gauge_video_avi.avi

I'm off work tomorrow, so I plan on finishing the dash and then installing the B&M Hammer shifter and the seat mounts. Here's a shot of one of the seats. It's not a good picture since it's wrapped in plastic, but you get the idea, it's a Corbeau style seat.

seat.jpg

I will update tomorrows progress, so check back.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Re: Update 11-11-09

lookiin good phillip. nice to see you getting back to the project!

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com

wow it all looks great nice job ,,, one question was wondering if the metal insert for the gauges would work in this type of bezel this is the path i plan on going thanks
gaugecluster.jpg

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn

Looks great man!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

hey that looks great!what did you use to die the dash?those gauges look great against the black backing,thanks for the update.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!