Power Steering Summary

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Power Steering Summary

Because I used the transmission crossmember as the reference point to mount the engine, this caused the power steering pulley to be too close to the steering box. The factory 4.8L power steering pulley is very large. I found a pulley from a mid 90's S-10 that I used. Sorry, I don't have specific part numbers.

pulley_difference.jpg

This shows the difference is size of the 4.8L pulley and the S-10 pulley I used.

pulley_installed.jpg

In order for the pulley align correctly with other pulleys, it had to be pressed on further on the power steering pump shaft than the factory 4.8L pulley. Notice the power steering pump shaft sticking out the end.

pulley_bolt_problem.jpg

Because the pulley had to be pressed on deeper, it cause a clearance issue between the pulley and one of the bolts behind the pulley.

bolt_grinded.jpg

I grinded down this bolt to clear the pulley. It has enough material on it that I should be able to remove the bolt if the pump needs replacing.

pulley_clearance_steering_box.jpg

Here you can see the clearance now available with the smaller S-10 pulley.

I was able to use the factory Malibu power steering hoses assemblies with the new setup. I did "tweak" the steel line portion of the hoses, but nothing major.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Hopefully that grounded down ps pump bolt comes out easy if ever needed to be removed.

jamielee04

Nov 3, 2010
Did you have any problem with the alternator hitting the hood and was wondering if you had addressed this problem? I think the f-body brackets will work I just wonder if ill have change anything else.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!