Exhaust Manifold Summary

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Exhaust Manifolds:

Since this is going to be a daily driver for my (new driver) 16 year old son, I'm not interested in making HP, so I decide to use "stock" F-body (Camaro or Firebird) cast iron manifolds. I used manifolds off of a 2002 Camaro. There are a couple gotcha's on using these, but not biggies. First, you have to plug the O2 sensor bung on the driver side manifold, because there is not enough room to install it in the manifold. You can get them from any exhaust shop cheap. Next, is the driver's side uses a funky collector flange. It mates to a one-piece pipe, catalytic converter that you may be lucky enough to find, but I had a flange made by a local machine shop for very cheap using the gasket as the template. Also, you will need to plug the EGR holes in the tops of the manifold. I did this with some scrap metal and got the gaskets from the parts store for very cheap.

throttle%20cable.jpg

Passenger side

0729082119a.jpg

Driver side

0729082117.jpg

Funky triangular flange on the driver side manifold

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Did you by any chance try out the truck manifolds? I saw in the other thread you had you said that you've heard they wouldn't fit. I've also heard that "supposedly" they flow better then many aftermarket headers. Then again, you did say you aren't really worried about HP, just seeing if the truck ones would clear the firewall, steering shaft, etc.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
79loserbluebu said:
Did you by any chance try out the truck manifolds? I saw in the other thread you had you said that you've heard they wouldn't fit. I've also heard that "supposedly" they flow better then many aftermarket headers. Then again, you did say you aren't really worried about HP, just seeing if the truck ones would clear the firewall, steering shaft, etc.

The passenger side would fit. The drivers side would not, no way to make it fit. It's been a while, but I believe it was pointed directly at the frame. Anyway, it was a no-go.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I know this isn't really a horsepower-related thread, but for anyone looking for a shorty-style header (as I may be), it may be viable to run a set of Camaro/Firebird headers that bolt up to the OE exhaust, since the collector should end up in the same spot.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-65732/
edl-65732_w.jpg

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Those do fit with or without AC. If you are running A/C thoough, and keeping the air box on the firewall, it may be better to use the vette shorties. If I remember correctly, they dont have the EGR/Air pump ports, and are more swept back. I mention this only because the maro shorties were rather close on my swap.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!