Oil Pan Summary - Updated 2-13-10

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Oil Pan:

OK, this was quite a journey. I originally test fitted the stock truck oil pan. It hung down way too low for my taste. So I decided this was no-go.

oilpan_hanging_front.jpg

Truck oil pan installed and test fitted

My next try was a Cadillac CTS-V pan and pickup. You can use the stock dipstick and tube with this pan. You also can use the stock truck windage tray, so it is an extremely easy swap. Here are comparison shots of the CTS-V pan to the stock truck pan:
0503081508.jpg

Truck pan on left and CTS-V pan on right. Notice how much deeper the sump is on the truck pan

0503081509.jpg

CTS-V pan on left and truck pan on right

I was having some trouble dropping the engine in place, and the CTS-V pan still hung about 1/2" below the crossmember. So I tried a Moroso 20140 pan that a fellow MR.com member was using is his completed project. Use Moroso pickup 24050 for this pan. It fits easily, but the downside is it uses a remote oil filter, so that was a pain to plumb.

0503081250a.jpg

My son installing the Moroso 20140 oil pan on the motor

0503081514.jpg

You can see the #10 AN bungs for the remote oil filter in this shot. Also notice that the pan sump does not hang below the crossmember.

0503081516.jpg

Another angle

UPDATE 2-13-10:

hose_by_exhaust_pipe.jpg

Here you can see the lines coming off the oil pan going to the remote filter. Notice these lines are fairly close to the exhaust downpipe. I am going to wrap the exhaust pipe here to be safe. I have high temp/high pressure hoses also.

hose_routing.jpg

hose_routing_2.jpg

Here you can see in the two above photos where the hoses come up by the firewall, then snake along the wheel well to the front of the wheel well.

hoses_through_wheelwell.jpg

Here is a closeup where I drilled two large holes in the wheel well for the hoses to exit to connect to the remote oil filter.

remote_filter.jpg

This is where I ended up locating the remote filter. I will make an aluminum plate to cover the filter and hoses to prevent rocks from the tires hitting it.

In retrospect, I really wish I had used the CTS-V pan. I could have gotten it in with a little "wresting", but it would fit. Also, the 1/2" or so of pan hanging below the crossmember was really negligible. Plus I wouldn't have to deal with plumbing a remote oil filter. The CTS-V pan is cheaper, and easier to install in the long run.

oilpress.jpg

In order to connect an oil pressure gauge, you need to use this Autometer adapter. You remove the factory 4.8L sending unit at the back of the intake manifold on the engine block (near the firewall). The computer does not need this signal, so I just disconnected the sending unit and removed it. I then installed the adapter and plumbed for a oil pressure sending unit for my Phantom gauges.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!