Parts cleaning, Sensor adapters, gauge cluster - 11-28-08

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Well, we finally had a day to work on the Malibu. I spent a lot of time running around getting do-dads. Anyway, here's some of what we did today, the pictures aren't that great, I used my phone camera:

Putting my son to work doing the "dirty work" of sanblasting a few parts:
Josh_sandblasting.jpg

Josh sandblasted the battery tray and the A/C bracket we will be using. Here's the battery tray after Josh primed it:
battery_tray.jpg

I installed the oil pressure adapter for the electric oil pressure sending unit. You have to use the Autometer metric to 1/8" NPT adapter. I didn't get a picture of where it is installed, but it is at the rear of the engine at the back of the intake. Where you typically find all SBC oil pressure sending units. I just removed the 4.8L sending unit (computer doesn't need it), and installed this with the sending unit that came with my Autometer Phantom Oil pressure Gauge. Here's the adapter you will need:
oilpress.jpg

Next, I installed the coolant temp adapter. You can see the "plug" that I removed from the head to install this adapter:
water_temp_adapter.jpg

The coolant temp adapter is installed on the passenger head at the very rear. I ran into a problem with the metric to 1/8" NPT adapter. It will not allow the Autometer temp sensor to screw into the adapter. The sensor is 1/8" NPT, but the adapter has a hole that is smaller than the temp probe. I had to use a couple fittings to make it work. I hope the coolant actually makes contact with the sensor. 8-[ Here's a shot of only the adapter installed:
coolant_adapter_installed.jpg

Next I installed the remote oil filter adapter. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. I wasn't able to complete it, because I could not get the hose installed on the barbed AN fitting. I'm afraid I will damage the fittings, so I will probably take it to the local hydraulic hose shop and have them press the hose on for me.

I then installed the O2 sensors. No pictures...

I then did all the wiring that will go to the gauges, turn signals, etc. I connected them to what I call "Molex style" connectors that will allow me to disconnect the wires going to the dash pod if I ever need to remove the dash pod. I soldered all the wires and used shrink tubing. Here's the finished product:
gauge_cluster_wires.jpg

I used an OLD SCHOOL tool to help with wiring. Anybody remember Simpson Multi-Meters?:
simpson.jpg

I will have similar connectors coming out of the dash pod. I'm still waiting a Speedo, and two gauges. Anyways, I then cut out a few holes for the gauges. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of room using the plate I got from "blownbigblock" here on the forum. It's not his fault, the stock panel just isn't very big. I may could have squeezed them in there, but I don't think I would like the finished product. So, I decided to mount 2 of the gauges down to the right of the steering wheel. This is with 3 3/8" speedo and tach and 2 1/16" gauges. Here's what the gauge layout is going to look like:
gauge_pod.jpg

I am going to paint the aluminum panel flat black and use these gauges:
atm-5897_w.jpg

I still need to drill locations for the turn signal LED's and high beam LED. I will install a "check engine" LED in the panel next to the voltmeter and oil pressure gauges to the right of the steering wheel. I also need to find a location to mount the OBD II diagnostic port. See below:
obd_II.jpg

Hey, look at the cool new toys that I found in a box sitting on my front porch! :lol: Anybody need some long tube LSx swap headers?:
swap_headers.jpg

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
Re: Small update - 11-28-08

Great progress. That small stuff always takes the longest and seems like you havent done anything when finished. And all of it is crucial for the project at hand.

Keep up all the hard work, it will pay off in the end.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com

Marco2 said:
Looks good. Very good progress. What happened to running the f body manifolds?

I am running the F-body manifolds. I am probably going to sell the headers.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY

Why the change of heart from manifolds, to headers, and back to manifolds?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com

Actually, I've been using the manifolds from the get-go. I got the headers as part of an advertising agreement with BRP. I don't want to use them on my son's daily driver, so I will probably sell them to help finish the project.

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC

i see nothing wrong with manifolds, no header leaks and the vette made 505 h.p with them. :-k

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY

#1, It's not my car, #2, I agree that manifolds can still make power, I was just curious what his reasoning was.

78mali350

Amateur Racer
Nov 12, 2008
Helena, AR

your gauge setup is going to turn out very nice, gives me a few ideas for the future of mine! great progress

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!