Fuel system, xmission lines, engine fitment (7-28-08)

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Well, it seems I like to do everything twice..... I changed my mind on using the stock fuel lines. I am only going to use one of the stock lines as the vent line. I'm going to run new lines using push-loc hose and AN fittings.

I'm supposed to get all the pieces in tomorrow from mail order. I bought Russell 640850 (3/8" fuel rail to #6 AN) and Russell 640860 (5/16" fuel rail to #6 AN). Here's a picture:
799-640850.jpg

I will use 2 of these these Earl's 991955 fittings to go on each end of a "OEM" frame rail type fuel filter. It was a cheap alternative and the filter will be an easy to find replacement item:
361991955.jpg

Here is the way I modified the stock TBI pickup from a 4.3L Monte Carlo:
0728082031a.jpg

The top line is the supply line. I used the stock 16MM fitting with an Earl's 9894DBJERL adapter to convert to #6 AN. The middle line is a return line. It was "necked" down to smaller than 5/16", so I removed that portion. I then went to a local industrial supply house and got some fittings. I added a 5/16" compression fitting to #6 AN conversion for the return line. The bottom line is the vent line. I will connect this to the stock 3/8" fuel line and run it to the engine's fuel vent line (I believe it is called the evaporator fitting on the intake). Of course, I have a high pressure fuel pump in the pickup unit.

I got a new fuel tank from O'Reilly's for a 1987 Monte Carlo with 4.3L TBI engine. It is baffled for EFI. It fits perfect with no modifications whatsoever. I've heard others say they had to tweak the filler neck, but mine fits fine:
0728082036.jpg

More fuel system updates to come when I get the rest of my fuel line plumbing supplies tomorrow.

You may recall that I slightly damaged the AC/Heater box when installing the engine. I did that before I bought the VERY nice LS1 lift plate. Anyways, you can see if you look close, where it's been patched and repainted. I decided to just take the box apart and replace the heater core since I was there anyways. It turned out to be a bigger job than I expected, but I shouldn't have to worry about the heater core for a while. Sorry, these are crappy cell phone pictures:
0724080628a.jpg

I got the AC box all back together with the new heater core. Also you can see I've set the F-body exhaust manifold temporarily in place to verify everything clears. Works great:
0728082032a.jpg

Here's the diver's side. Notice that I removed, cleaned and painted the accessory brackets, valve covers, valley cover, and water pump with aluminum paint to clean things up a little. It was kinda' dingy, so I thought I would clean it up a little:
0728082032.jpg

I re-used the truck transmission cooler lines. They fit pretty good actually. I did have to do some "tweaking", but it looks like they will work fine. I cut them off in front of the radiator, installed compression to AN fittings (to easily disconnect if necessary) and will short pieces of push loc hose to the radiator cooler connections. I need to get some new radiator fittings (got the wrong size), so I didn't get it plumbed tonight. Here you can see where I have the stock 3 row radiator temporarily installed to get the plumbing done:
0728082033a.jpg

Here you can see how the stock mechanical fan is fitting with the stock radiator and shroud mocked up. I believe the engine setback is causing the fan not to fit "up into" the shroud properly. I may have to do some modifications to the shroud to help improve cooling efficiency:
0728082034.jpg

From the other side:
0728082035a.jpg

OK, that's it for now. Still have lots to do. So, we're going to keep plugging away.

Later,

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Re: Latest update - 56K warning

lookin good, phillip. getting closer everyday now.

fastrat350

Top Fueler
Oct 25, 2003
South Texas
www.freewebs.com

Looks good, and as for your fan and shroud problem, If im not mistaken,you may want to look for a V6 shroud, I remember my V6 shroud has an extra extension/band to cover the fan, maybe you can find a V6 shroud and pull the additional band off and add it to yours. Its been a long time since I pulled my V6 out but I think thats how it was.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com

That's one option I was considering. To be honest, I've made MANY attempts at removing the fan, but have been unsucessful. :oops: I bought a "cheapie" strap wrench from Harbor Frieght to hold the water pump pulley so that I can get a wrench on the spacer nut and remove the fan. The strap broke! I've been soaking fan extension in WD40 the last few times I've been out working on it hoping that it will help it work loose so I can remove it and maybe extend the spacer.
Tony_SS said:
Cant you just space that fan further up in the shroud?

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com

It's little crap like that that's eat up hours of time.. ](*,) Is it a reverse thread by chance?

I bet it would cool fine just like that, but for safety reasons it would be better off buried in the shroud.

You could just take a donor shroud, cut of the edge and then stack it to the existing one which would extend it out to cover the fan.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com

the v-6 shrouds are longer than the v-8 ones...it would do the trick

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Re: Latest update - 56K warning (7-28-08)

I'm somewhat curious about your shroud, it looks a bit different than mine, I'm guessing that could be to do with a year difference (mine is an '81), but I'm not sure. This is one of the better pics I can get of the area where the radiator hose rides, but the entire shroud on yours looks like it could be a good 3/4" longer than mine.
DSC00626.jpg

0728082034.jpg

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Re: Latest update - 56K warning (7-28-08)

I'm wondering if mine was a V6 shroud and the previous owner cut it down to fit a V8??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!