Got the gas tank installed

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I plan on making some good progress this week. My wife is out of town on business. My kids are gone to Church Summer Camp. Even though my son is gone, he asked that I work on it anyways. We're getting very close to the October 14th deadline that I set, so I need to get going!

I installed the tank last night after getting all the plumbing fittings and hoses. I used the stock 3/8" steel line as the supply and the 5/16" steel vent line as the return. As you can see in the picture below, the sending unit has 3 connections the one on the left is the supply line. The middle is the return and the one on the right is the vent line.
gastank_640.jpg

Close-up of the sending unit/pump assembly:
sending_unit_plumb.jpg

Pink wire is the sending unit. Brown wire is the fuel pump. Black is ground. I had to go to a funeral last night, so I didn't have time to take more pictures of the install. I will try to get more detailed pictures of how I plumbed everything this evening and update this post. Until next time.....

Next step(s):
* Do some more engine clean-up/paint touch up and re-install intake.
* Re-assemble heater box (because I repaired damage with fiberglass patchwork and replaced heater core while I was at it).
* Begin on engine wiring harness.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ok now I'm curious... I'll probably be doing a similar setup to what you have, and using a regulator in the engine compartment for now. What type of fitting is actually connected to the pump? I'm thinking it's something like this, but I'm not positive.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBM2727/

*edit*
Found what I was looking for in one of the other threads 8)

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
What tank is this? Is this the stock Malibu one, or is this a Grand National or EFI Monte tank? Also is that the GN pump that was linked on eBay in one of the threads around here? Thanks for documenting the build so much this is going to make my swap easier.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
The tank is an aftermarket for a 87 Monte Carlo with EFI 4.3 engine. You can use the fuel pump hanger/sending unit assembly from the same car, but replace the pump with a high pressure unit. I used a Delco EP241 equivalent, but after reading some more a better pump would be EP381 (E3270 Airtex) = Flow = 50-60 GPH & PSI = 80-90. Of course, if you're building a hot engine combo, you may want to upgrade to an aftermarket pump. Please keep in mind that if you use the aftermarket tank, they have a problem with proper ventilation, which will cause problems when filling with gas. I'm experiencing this problem and wish I had known about it when I did mine. Read this thread for more information and pictures on how to "fix" this issue: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=92692

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I saw that thread thanks for the reply. I want to try and find an OEM tank but I guess if I need to I'll go aftermarket

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!