Replacement Fuel tank

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
We got a new gas tank today for the EFI setup. I purchased it at a local O'Reilly's Auto Parts. It is for a '87 Monte Carlo with 4.3 TBI engine. The tank is baffled for in-tank EFI pump. Here's a shot of the new tank:

new_gastank.jpg

I bought a EFI pick-up assembly from a Mr.com member. It was from a 4.3 Monte, so all that it needed was a high pressure pump. I also bought that at O'Reilly's, as seen in picture. I am going to a industrial supply house on Monday to get all the fittings and high pressure hose to connect the new pickup to existing plumbing. My plan is to use the factory 3/8" supply line to supply the fuel for the engine and use the factory 5/16" vent line as the return line. The sending unit has an additional outlet for vent. I will connect a (new) line to that and connect a filter to it. Here's a picture of the EFI pump and pickup/sending unit:
electric_fuelpump.jpg

I removed the old tank. As you can see it's pretty grungy, but it worked and had no leaks. Anyone interested in a used gas tank?:
old_gastank.jpg

Guess what I found on top of the factory tank? Yep, the build sheet. It's pretty grungy and has undercoating on the corner. But, it's a neat find:
build_sheet.jpg

The other thing we did today is get the EFI wiring harness and ECM off the 4.8L truck motor and got it boxed up to ship off to get the ECM reprogrammed. I'm also going to be lazy and get him to modify the harness for me to make it a simple "drop-in" conversion. Here it is ready to be shipped:
wiring_harness.jpg

I also patched up the heater box with some fiberglass and resin to fix the small "hole" I put in the heater box while dropping the engine in place. Not a big hole, but it needed to be patched. Sorry, no pictures of that....

So, I will get the fittings and high pressure hose on Monday to install and plumb the new EFI gas tank setup. Not much done today, but at least we did do something. 8)

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Re: Small update

any progress is good progress, phillip. i have thought about sumping a factory tank to replace the fuel cell in my car. i'm tired of opening the trunk to fill the tank, and i would actually be able to use the trunk again. i never thought about checking with o'reilly's for a new tank, thanks for the idea! keep up the good work.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com

Thanks Tom. I had to special order the tank. It took 3 days to get. It was $211+10 for shipping.

I understand about the cell in the trunk. I had that in my old Malibu.

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky

TOMS78BU said:
any progress is good progress, phillip. i have thought about sumping a factory tank to replace the fuel cell in my car. i'm tired of opening the trunk to fill the tank, and i would actually be able to use the trunk again. i never thought about checking with o'reilly's for a new tank, thanks for the idea! keep up the good work.

Hpw much is a new sumped tank worth?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com

Stangboy said:
TOMS78BU said:

Hpw much is a new sumped tank worth?

I paid $221 for it. It was $211+10 shipping. I don't pay taxes, use my Dad's business account, which is tax exempt. It's made in Canada, which is probably much better than some that are made in China.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!