Motor and transmission finally in....

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Sorry for the long delay in updating. Softball season has started and I'm coaching my daughter's team, so we have been very busy. Along with all the usual spring time chores around the house. OK, so enough excuses.....

We got the Moroso pan, and finally got the motor and transmission installed. The transmission "ice"member is bolted in. I haven't finalized the permanent location of the motor. It is currently sitting almost completely up against the heater box. I will probably need to move it forward about 1/2", just to make sure it has enough clearance between the cylinder head and the heater box. I should still have plenty of clearance for the power steering pulley to clear the steering box after moving it forward slightly. Anyway, here are some pictures:

My son installing the Moroso P/N 20140 oilpan:
0503081250a.jpg

The motor in:
0503081450.jpg

I found this very cool lift plate on the internet. It made the job MUCH easier to drop the motor into place. Before I got this lift plate, I was having trouble with the mounting hook (bolted to the head)that I had the hoist chain connected to interferring with the firewall. With this setup, I could get the motor as far back as I wanted without any problems. I got it off Ebay from a company called Car Shop Inc. It was $49+12 shipping. It's cheaper on Ebay than buying off their website:
0503081450a.jpg

Here you can see the Moroso pan is ABOVE the crossmember, so I don't have to worry about my son hitting it on something. This was an issue with the stock truck pan. The CTS-V would have probably hung about 1/2" below the crossmember. I'm not really sure because I never got it installed with the transmission connected to give an accurate mounting position. Anyway, I was able to get the motor and transmission dropped in together with the Moroso pan. It took some wrestling, but I got both in together. I definitely could not have done this with the truck pan and probably not with the CTS-V pan. I would have to drop the motor-only in first, then install the transmission from underneath if using either of the "factory" pans. Here's the picture:
0503081514.jpg

Another angle:
0503081516.jpg

OK, that's it for now. We plan on cleaning some of the engine components/brackets, re-installing the intake, finalizing the motor location, dropping the fuel tank and installing an EFI tank with EFI pump and plumb, sending the harness and ECM off to get reprogrammed and factory wiring harness cleaned up (got lazy decided to let someone else do it), install A/C compressor in alternate location, blah, blah, blah. In other words, a long way to go. I will be sending off the wiring harness and ECM this week.

For those interested, here is a comparison of the truck and CTS-V oilpan:
CTS-V pan (for sale, BTW!):
0503081511.jpg

Sump Height comparison:
0503081508.jpg

Bottom:
0503081509.jpg

Side:
0503081509a.jpg

STROKER

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2004
SOUTH FLORIDA
what would be the problem using the f body pan? you might have mentioned it but i was not following along .

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
An F-body pan would have to be modified to work. I really didn't want to modify a pan to fit. Plus, I would have to buy one, then pay about as much as the pan costs to have it modified. Also, since Landon (roller406bu) is using the Moroso pan and the same transdapt motor mounts, I knew it would work without a doubt. I was hoping the CTS-V pan would work, and it may have. I just got tired of wrestling with it, and decided to go with what I know works.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. ;) Unfortunately, I tried 3 ways before finding one I liked. As Landon pointed out in a previous post, it's been done so quit making it more difficult than it needs to be (or something like that). I finally took his advice and used what is proven.

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Have you researched the corvette filter/regulator setup? Thats what Im going with, I could dig some links up if needed....

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Stangboy said:
Have you researched the corvette filter/regulator setup? Thats what Im going with, I could dig some links up if needed....

Yes please! I hadn't considered that. Is that off the LS7?

Thanks

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
looking good phillip!

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
Glad to see it coming along Phillip! Looking good! 8) 8) cool.gif

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Thanks.

I'm using factory F-body exhaust manifolds. I don't want to deal with headers on a daily driver. I'm wanting an "OEM" look when I get finished.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!