Drop back and punt

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Unfortunately, I didn't make much progress this past weekend. After re-installing new motor mounts, I had a very difficult time getting the motor to sit on the mounts. Must be because the new mounts are so stiff. I was also having problems with the power steering pulley hitting during the moving around to get the mounts lined up. To me, it seems like the 1/4" thickness of the motor mount adapters on each side have some things slightly out of whack. I've gotten them to line up before (a few times), but the passenger side frame mount was VERY loose when I did. Anyway, I got so frustratred with the whole thing, I decided to step back and re-think things.

New plan: I've got an Iceman lightweight crossmember on the way for the 4L60E. I am going to use that as the reference point to mount everything. I plan to intall the frame mounts onto the motor clamshells, drop the motor and transmission in, bolt the transmission down to the Icemember and tack weld the motor frame mounts into their proper location. Remove the motor and transmission and re-drill (if needed) holes for the new location of the frame mounts. I'm guessing this will move the motor back some, which will help the power steering pulley clear and give the oilpan even more clearance. So, I will update as soon as I get my new "Icemember" in.

I considered getting the 1" setback motor mount adapters, but I would probably end up modifying the transmission crossmember anyways if I went that route. So, I decided to use the new "Icemember" as the reference point.

I guess we will work on the fuel system in the meantime. I have a Monte EFI fuel pump hanger and bought the proper high pressure EFI pump to fit it. Unfortunately, my fuel tank isn't sumped for EFI. I may fabricate something for the EFI hanger like this to prevent fuel starvation:
prd_sm_84.jpg

Or take the easy way out and just buy a repro Monte Carlo EFI tank.

I'll post more when I do something..... :roll:

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
The MC or Grand National tanks will bolt up but the filler neck needs to be bent upwards because it wont allow the gas tank door to close properly. It just takes a little brute strength or heat it up BEFORE adding gas and bend it in place.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Deuce4935 said:
It just takes a little brute strength or heat it up BEFORE adding gas and bend it in place.

BOOM!!!!! :x :lol:

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Doober said:
I just did some looking (good luck finding it though...), what about the Y-Body accessory drive (w/o A/C)?

For the marginal amount of drag to run the disengaged clutch when in a performance mode, I'd much rather have the A/C for the other 99% of the time. But that's just me.

Interested in the whole pan issue as well, just lurking till then :)

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
I ran into the same alignment issues that you are having. Motor ends up moving back 1-1.5" so it makes everything clear nicely. The back of the head does get close to the heater box tho.

Do you have any pics of the pan installed in the car? I'm just curious, I'm probably gonna go the same route.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
78'Bu-88SS said:
I ran into the same alignment issues that you are having. Motor ends up moving back 1-1.5" so it makes everything clear nicely. The back of the head does get close to the heater box tho.

Do you have any pics of the pan installed in the car? I'm just curious, I'm probably gonna go the same route.

I have some pics, but I really want to wait until I get it fully bolted into place. It fit in my first trial fit. The bottom of the pan did hang about 1/2" below the crossmember. I just can't say with certainty at this point that it will fit, since I'm having trouble with bolting the motor to the mounts. I'll try to get the pictures posted this evening, showing what I have so far.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!