Ordered oil pan today

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Decided to give the CTS-V pan setup a try. It looks very similar to the Moroso pan shape (no side kickouts though) that 406RollerBu is using. It is going to be about $100 cheaper than the Moroso pan setup, plus I won't have to run a remote oil filter setup like the Moroso pan requires.

So, I'm hoping that it will fit. :roll: If it doesn't I should be able to get most of my money back out of it. I ordered it today, should be in this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Here a few comparison photos:

Truck pan:
truck_pan.jpg

F-body pan:
f-body%20pan.jpg

Moroso pan:
moroso_pan.jpg
moroso_pan_2.jpg
moroso_pan_3.jpg

CTS-V pan:
cts-v_pan.jpg

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
It looks like it will be a much better fit. Where did you order it from?

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
looking good........better than a moroso fo sho

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Excelerater said:
looking good........better than a moroso fo sho

You mean better than a Morosizzo fo shizzo. LOL :lol:

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I ordered it from a local chevy dealership. I get a 25% discount off list plus no taxes, since I bought it through my Dad's business. My Dad owns a used car dealership.

My cost on the pan was $169, pickup was $57, baffle was $27, I can use the C/K truck windage tray and dipstick tube and dipstick. I'll probably have to mark the dipstick, though.

jerrycad472

Daily Driver
Jan 28, 2008
Grosse Ile, MI
That looks like it will work. On LS1Tech, John B said the measurements on the CTS Pan are really close to what his modified F-Bodys pans end up being. In the end the cost looks like it will be around the same as modifying an F-body (assuming you have one to start with). It will depend on where you mounts place the motor vs. the cross member. Good luck

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Let me know how this fits. I ended up moving the motor mounts an inch back for the stock PS pulley to clear and also because of header issues.

If the the Caddilac pan fits, I'll have to order one up.

Did your motor drop "nicely" on the mounts or did you have to fight with it? The frame side pads on my car have never been removed and I had to fight to get the bolts in. Once I bolt down the mounts in their relocated position that problem will be alleviated.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Man, I had to wrestle with it to get it to seat on the mount pads. It was a pain. I could not get the motor in at all with then transmission attached. The oil pan was hanging on the crossmember, even with an extreme amount of tilt. I may be able to with the shorter oilpan. We'll see.

After looking at it some more, I may end up having to move the motor back slightly to clear the steering box, even with the smaller pulley. I'll have to see when I get the transmission mounted and set the correct angle. I hope that I don't, but if I do, I may just get 4L60E icemember in the stock location, and use that to set the engine location. Like I said, I'll have to wait and see how it goes when I get the transmission installed.

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
What I did was bolt my trans mount into the stock location using the iceman 2004r crossmember. This ended up moving the entire motor back about an inch and allowed my stock truck PS pulley to clear fine. I have maybe 3/4" between the non a/c heater box and cyl head. I'm sure I will have to move the #8 coil slightly to clear, we will see.

When do you think you will get that pan in for a test fit? GM parts has the pan, baffle, and pickup shipped for $245, only crappy part is they take forever with shipping.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
That's what I was talking about using the trans crossmember as the reference point.

The guy said it will be in Monday or Tuesday. It's coming all the way from Lansing, MI.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!