Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL » MalibuRacing Father/Son Project

Post subject: Ordered oil pan today
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:55 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

Decided to give the CTS-V pan setup a try. It looks very similar to the Moroso pan shape (no side kickouts though) that 406RollerBu is using. It is going to be about $100 cheaper than the Moroso pan setup, plus I won't have to run a remote oil filter setup like the Moroso pan requires.

So, I'm hoping that it will fit. :roll: If it doesn't I should be able to get most of my money back out of it. I ordered it today, should be in this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Here a few comparison photos:

Truck pan:

F-body pan:

Moroso pan:
Image Image Image

CTS-V pan:

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:05 pm 
V6 Guru

It looks like it will be a much better fit. Where did you order it from?

"He drives an El Freakin' Camino! That's like the Cadillac of cars!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:39 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

looking good........better than a moroso fo sho

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:43 pm 
V6 Guru

Excelerater wrote:
looking good........better than a moroso fo sho

You mean better than a Morosizzo fo shizzo. LOL :lol:

"He drives an El Freakin' Camino! That's like the Cadillac of cars!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:55 pm 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

I ordered it from a local chevy dealership. I get a 25% discount off list plus no taxes, since I bought it through my Dad's business. My Dad owns a used car dealership.

My cost on the pan was $169, pickup was $57, baffle was $27, I can use the C/K truck windage tray and dipstick tube and dipstick. I'll probably have to mark the dipstick, though.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:53 pm 
Daily Driver

That looks like it will work. On LS1Tech, John B said the measurements on the CTS Pan are really close to what his modified F-Bodys pans end up being. In the end the cost looks like it will be around the same as modifying an F-body (assuming you have one to start with). It will depend on where you mounts place the motor vs. the cross member. Good luck

81 Monte Carlo LS1 6sp Conversion in Process
70 Camaro (Cadillac 472)
08 Silverado Z71

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:20 am 
Dragway Regular

Let me know how this fits. I ended up moving the motor mounts an inch back for the stock PS pulley to clear and also because of header issues.

If the the Caddilac pan fits, I'll have to order one up.

Did your motor drop "nicely" on the mounts or did you have to fight with it? The frame side pads on my car have never been removed and I had to fight to get the bolts in. Once I bolt down the mounts in their relocated position that problem will be alleviated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:30 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

Man, I had to wrestle with it to get it to seat on the mount pads. It was a pain. I could not get the motor in at all with then transmission attached. The oil pan was hanging on the crossmember, even with an extreme amount of tilt. I may be able to with the shorter oilpan. We'll see.

After looking at it some more, I may end up having to move the motor back slightly to clear the steering box, even with the smaller pulley. I'll have to see when I get the tranny mounted and set the correct angle. I hope that I don't, but if I do, I may just get 4L60E icemember in the stock location, and use that to set the engine location. Like I said, I'll have to wait and see how it goes when I get the tranny installed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:54 am 
Dragway Regular

What I did was bolt my trans mount into the stock location using the iceman 2004r crossmember. This ended up moving the entire motor back about an inch and allowed my stock truck PS pulley to clear fine. I have maybe 3/4" between the non a/c heater box and cyl head. I'm sure I will have to move the #8 coil slightly to clear, we will see.

When do you think you will get that pan in for a test fit? GM parts has the pan, baffle, and pickup shipped for $245, only crappy part is they take forever with shipping.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:03 pm 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

That's what I was talking about using the trans crossmember as the reference point.

The guy said it will be in Monday or Tuesday. It's coming all the way from Lansing, MI.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 pm 
Dragway Regular

Any luck with that pan? Think you will be able to mock it up this weekend?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:39 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

It didn't come in until yesterday. We tried some test fitting last night. It clears the crossmember fine. I'm not sure about how low it is going to hang at this point. When I was dropping the motor in for test fit, I noticed the passenger side frame mount was VERY worn. It definitely needs replacing. So, I could not get it properly positioned to see how low the pan will hang. I'm guessing it is going to be close to 1/2" - 1" below the crossmember, but that is nowhere near as bad as the truck pan. The front of the sump on the pan looks like it might have 1/2" clearance to the crossmember. It is very close, but it fits fine. Also, there is no clearance problem with the slope of the pan either. Again, it's pretty close, but doesn't appear to be a problem. I will know more after I get the motor mounts replaced. I plan to get it done this weekend, and shoot pictures.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 am 
Dragway Regular

Awesome. I have my motor an inch back so I should be good on all angles.

Time to put one of those on my parts to order list.

If you can get pics this weekend that would be great. I'm really interested in seeing how it fits/hangs.

Thanks man.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:04 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

I'll get plenty of pics.

I may move my motor back 1" also. Especially since I need to replace at least one of the frame mounts. I'm afraid that I'm still having power steering pulley clearance issues. Moving it back would solve that issue. It may require clearancing the A/C box, though.

If you plan on moving the motor back 1", it will have PLENTY of room. The only issue is how low it will hang. I will know that this weekend. I'll post a lot of pictures this weekend.

Phillip

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:17 am 
Dragway Regular

Yea with mine being an inch back, I should be fine.

With the truck pan having a sump of over 8.5" and the CTS V pan having only 5.5, thats a good 3inch difference. If it hangs down at all it'll only be an inch or so. Should give me another 3" of ground clearance easily lol.

Board index » GENERAL » MalibuRacing Father/Son Project