One issue resolved, another pops up... (Part 6)

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
In my last entry I discovered that the power steering pulley was going to hit the steering box. So
I went to the Junk yard today and found a power steering pulley from a 94 S-10 pickup. Here you can see
the difference in size between the larger 4.8L pulley that came on the engine and the smaller S10 pulley:
pulley_difference.jpg

When I was instlling the pulley on the pump, I had a problem with the back of the pulley hitting one of the three bolts
that attaches the pump to the bracket. Here's a shot of the offending bolt and location:
problem_bolt.jpg

pulley_bolt_problem.jpg

So, I had to grind down the head of that bolt to prevent interference:
bolt_grinded.jpg

Now I could install the pulley to the correct depth. Notice that the S10 pulley had to be pressed on deeper than a stock
pulley. The stock pulley was flush with the pump shaft. The S10 pulley required to be pressed on further to align properly
with the other pulleys.:
pulley_installed.jpg

Now it has clearance between the pulley and steering box. It looks fine now, but if the back of the motor has less tilt ,
then it will be closer. I will need to get the transmission installed to say with certainty that it is OK. But, another member on
here is running this, so I'm hoping it's OK.
pulley_clearance_steering_box.jpg

So, this brings me to ANOTHER problem. The oilpan.... After I got the motor mount bolts in, it was obvious that
the oil pan hangs too low.
oilpan_hanging_back.jpg

oilpan_hanging_front.jpg

I've got to decide what route I want to go. I have a few options:
1. Modified F-body pan from S&P or other vendor (about $250).
2. LH8 pan (Hummer H3 Alpha), but it is only 3/4" shorter, so I'll probably pass on this option (abount $180-250).
3. Cadillac CTS-V. Some think this will fit with no problems. No one can say for certain, so I'm scared to dump $200+ into an unknown.
4. Moroso pan. About $300 with pickup + you have to run remote filter setup, so that adds about $50-100 more.

So, I've got to make a decision on the pan.. confused_swirl.gif

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
yup.6 qt pans from trucks will do it for ya.......That thing hangs down like my old Milodon deep sump
Does GM make a car pan for the LS motor?
I am certain GrandPrix's come with 5.3s and the motors
are the same?......

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, I remember he was doing them (I think) on a case basis. I have an article somewhere around here talking about the different pans, and with mine I may just go for a shorter factory pan (IIRC they said the C5 or C6 ones would fit), and see if he would be interested in buying the truck pan outright.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!