First test fit today - Part 5

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I had today off from work, so I thought I would do a test fitting to see what is what.... Here's a few pics and some details:

P1100533.JPG

Here is it being lowered into place. I removed the transmission to make it easier to do test fitting.

P1100535.JPG

So far this seems to be the only issue. 78'Bu-88SS addressed this issue in his swap. The stock power steering pulley is too large in diameter and hits against the power steering gear box. He said that a early 90's 2.8L S10 pulley will work. I will probably be going to the junkyard tomorrow to find one.

P1100536.JPG

Since I couldn't lower it all the way due to the power steering pulley, it's not quite sitting on the motor mounts. Probably lacks an inch or so. This is the passenger side mount. I'm using TransDapt adapters with the stock frame and motor mounts.

P1100534.JPG

Again, you can see the motor is not sitting on the mount because of the power steering pump pulley issue. This is the driver side mount.

P1100538.JPG

Ouch... This is where I bumped the A/C box with the engine hoist hook. Just a scratch, luckily. I mounted the lift hook on the head, but I probably need to move it to the bellhousing bolt holes to keep from interfering.

P1100541.JPG

Althought it will be snug with the A/C box, I've got a lot of room between the firewall and rear of the motor. At least it will be easy to reach the transmission bellhousing bolts.

P1100542.JPG

At this moment, the stock truck pan is not hanging much below the crossmember as you can see. I expect this to change when the motor rests on the motor mounts. I'll have to decide if I want to keep the stock truck pan or not after I see what it looks like with the motor resting on the mounts.

P1100544.JPG

This is probably a better angle to see how low it is at this point. Again, it will be lower when I take care of the power steering pulley issue.

P1100545.JPG

Semi-front view.

I removed the A/C compressor before I lowered the engine down. I'm not sure if it is going to clear or not. It looks like it might fit, but I'm not overly confident. I'll really need to get it lowered into place before I can start test fitting the A/C compressor.

I'll update when I get another power steering pulley and can fully lower it into place.

'Til next time......

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
That will look right at home in there. Hope the powersteering doesnt give you too many fits....lol

skostur79

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2006
ne ohio
take that pulley off , bolt that motor down

mosty all gms have the same pump shaft diameters

so even a 3.4 ,3.8 v6 pulley can work

looks good

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Yeah, I called a few parts stores, to ask about pulley shaft diameters. You cannot find "old school" parts guys anymore. If it's not on the computer, they don't know. Also, the depth (offset) needs to be right. It was said that you have to grind about 1/16" off the back side of the 2.8 S10 pulley to mate up perfectly.

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
there aren't many old school parts guys anymore, but not many old school parts any more. even the same car, say like a new malibu, the interchange will change year to year on mechanical parts, now you have all these other cars as well, it would be hard for anyone to keep up with. back in the day, alot of parts would interchange from car to car and it was alot easier to keep up with. wish it was still that way. project is coming along nicely, i'm looking forward to the next update. keep up the good work, phillip. :D

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
good deal, are you going to leave that fan on there??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!