Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL » MalibuRacing Father/Son Project

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:18 pm 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

I had today off from work, so I thought I would do a test fitting to see what is what.... Here's a few pics and some details:

Here is it being lowered into place. I removed the tranny to make it easier to do test fitting.

So far this seems to be the only issue. 78'Bu-88SS addressed this issue in his swap. The stock power steering pulley is too large in diameter and hits against the power steering gear box. He said that a early 90's 2.8L S10 pulley will work. I will probably be going to the junkyard tomorrow to find one.

Since I couldn't lower it all the way due to the power steering pulley, it's not quite sitting on the motor mounts. Probably lacks an inch or so. This is the passenger side mount. I'm using TransDapt adapters with the stock frame and motor mounts.

Again, you can see the motor is not sitting on the mount because of the power steering pump pulley issue. This is the driver side mount.

Ouch... This is where I bumped the A/C box with the engine hoist hook. Just a scratch, luckily. I mounted the lift hook on the head, but I probably need to move it to the bellhousing bolt holes to keep from interfering.

Althought it will be snug with the A/C box, I've got a lot of room between the firewall and rear of the motor. At least it will be easy to reach the tranny bellhousing bolts.

At this moment, the stock truck pan is not hanging much below the crossmember as you can see. I expect this to change when the motor rests on the motor mounts. I'll have to decide if I want to keep the stock truck pan or not after I see what it looks like with the motor resting on the mounts.

This is probably a better angle to see how low it is at this point. Again, it will be lower when I take care of the power steering pulley issue.

Semi-front view.

I removed the A/C compressor before I lowered the engine down. I'm not sure if it is going to clear or not. It looks like it might fit, but I'm not overly confident. I'll really need to get it lowered into place before I can start test fitting the A/C compressor.

I'll update when I get another power steering pulley and can fully lower it into place.

'Til next time......

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:41 pm 
Dragway Regular

That will look right at home in there. Hope the powersteering doesnt give you too many fits....lol

You dont grow out of stupid...you have it for life.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:00 am 
Amateur Racer

take that pulley off , bolt that motor down

mosty all gms have the same pump shaft diameters

so even a 3.4 ,3.8 v6 pulley can work

looks good

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:27 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

Yeah, I called a few parts stores, to ask about pulley shaft diameters. You cannot find "old school" parts guys anymore. If it's not on the computer, they don't know. Also, the depth (offset) needs to be right. It was said that you have to grind about 1/16" off the back side of the 2.8 S10 pulley to mate up perfectly.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:34 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

there aren't many old school parts guys anymore, but not many old school parts any more. even the same car, say like a new malibu, the interchange will change year to year on mechanical parts, now you have all these other cars as well, it would be hard for anyone to keep up with. back in the day, alot of parts would interchange from car to car and it was alot easier to keep up with. wish it was still that way. project is coming along nicely, i'm looking forward to the next update. keep up the good work, phillip. :D

Say goodbye to the world you live in
You've always been taking
And now your giving.

Seek and Destroy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm 
Pro Stocker

looks good. can i ask what made you guys go with the 4.8L swap?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:08 am 
Frequent Racer

good deal, are you going to leave that fan on there??

Board index » GENERAL » MalibuRacing Father/Son Project