Part 3 - New motor is home

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I went and picked up the motor and trans today. It is out of a 2002 Tahoe. I thought it may be a "drive by wire" throttle, but it is cable drive. 4.8L with aluminum heads and a 4L60E. I hope I got everything I need. It's a little dirtier than I was expecting, but it nothing that a little elbow grease can't take care of. Here's some pictures:

P1100488.JPG

P1100489.JPG

P1100491.JPG

I got the fuse/relay box. I've read that it is much easier to wire it up if you have this. I'll find out soon...

P1100492.JPG

Here is the MAF sensor, the factory Tahoe fuel pump and a couple extra O2 sensors they gave me. I don't think I will be able to use the factory pump because of it's unusual design. The outlet hose connection is really strange. Looks like I will need to get one out of a Late 80's F-body with TPI to fit in the Monte Carlo in-tank fuel hanger I bought from a fellow MR.com member.

P1100495.JPG

P1100498.JPG

P1100499.JPG

Check this out. The A/C compressor uses a separate small serpentine belt with a miniture idler pulley. Strange.... Not sure if this will fit without modification to the crossmember. Another thing I'm about to find out.

P1100501.JPG

P1100502.JPG

P1100505.JPG

UH OH... :roll: I just made a nasty mess where the wife parks her Yukon. Gotta' get that up! :lol:

P1100507.JPG

Home Sweet Home!</B><i></i>

<B>So, the plan is to spend time tomorrow to get the engine bay cleaned up and possibly painted. Supposed to be nice weather, so that should help. Then I'll probably spend some time cleaning up the motor a little before test fitting some things. Until next time.....

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
pretty nice deal, phillip! now comes the fun part, getting it in! :D cant wait to see the next update! how excited is your son?!

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
He's very excited.. A couple of his buddies from school came over today and they were oohing and ahhhing over the motor. Then one of them said, "Mr. P, can you imagine your son riding around in that car with us?!". :shock:
I had a flash back to my teenager days, and it scared me! :lol:

I'm getting geeked up about it myself. I can't wait to hear it fire up the first time!

I told my son that when we get all the kinks worked out, that we'll take it to the drag strip to see what it will do. My son said, "Dad, you know Mom won't let you do that". :roflback: I informed him that we would indeed! :twisted:

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
This project has that "cool" factor. I am enjoying veiwing the build. Keep 'em coming.

Hiway

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 9, 2005
Enola Arkansas
Soak the whole thing down with wd-40 and let it sit overnight before pressure washing it. Works really well

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
Do we call u Mr P from now on?

:p

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
:roflback: mom won't let you do that! he's got a point! #-o glad to see he's having fun with it. you never forget your first car, especially if your first car is a car YOU built, with the help of good ol' dad, of course! :lol: great job, mr.P! :thumbsup:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!