Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL » MalibuRacing Father/Son Project

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:52 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Good to see your back at it, Phillip! Projects like yours really make me wish we had been able to have kids that I could share my hobby with.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

Thanks for the support. It felt good to get out there and turn wrenches again. Especially since my son is interested. He's kinda' laid back like his Dad, and doesn't get excited about too much, but he seems really excited about getting the Malibu "fixed-up".

Yep, black selt belts. Another reason I may decide to go with black interior. Also, if I dye the dash and some other parts, it should be pretty easy since it is a dark burgundy color to begin with.

The grill/header is off a 82-up Malibu/El Camino. It was like that when my dad bought it. I can tell there was some front end damage at one time on the car, so I guess that's when they put the different header on it.

Monte SS wheels. My Dad put them on there. Not sure what model, mid to late 80's?

I originally planned on a lift, that's why I built the garage with the high ceiling. It is something I still plan on doing. It would definitely be nice to have.

I'd really like to go all out with it (that's just the nature), but I probably will stay conservative on the restoration. I'd love to do brake upgrades, nice suspension pieces, etc. Since this will be his daily driver, and the likelihood of him wrecking it in the first couple years, I'll just pretty much do the things I've outlined. I may put some aftermarket rear control arms on it. :-k

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:23 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Those wheels are 86-88 RPO N90 Monte SS wheels, unless they use a "unilug" style lug nut with an integral washer. Then they're 80-81 RPO N90 Z28 wheels.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:06 am 
Pro Stocker

You must be bringing him up right (no rice). ;)

Here is my proud papa moment.

Was crewing for my friend,runs a old school 7 second FED.

His daughter runs similar looking Jr Dragster.

My 8 year old daughter tagged along.

We were running our ###'s off between the 2 cars, both being remote started etc. etc..

Anyway,we got caught up with an issue with his dragster and kinda forgot about his daughter in the staging lanes.

We hear them starting to run, Oh sh%T, look up to see my daughter pushing his daughter's Jr. threw the lanes like she had being doing it for years.

Almost brought a tear to our eyes!

Can't wait until they (I got 3 girls ) are a little older.

Enjoy the time,they sure do grow up fast

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 pm 
Dragway Regular

It's always cool to see a new hot rodder surface with a non-rice car. He'll have something very unique compared to all his friends.

He'll always remember building his first car with his Dad. I'm completely jealous. My 17 year old is still not interested!

Have a great time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:07 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

great to see phillip... I cant wait to see the rest. Very cool to see the younger guys into american cars and not just f-bodies, vettes and mustangs!

and welcome to the jackstand Club!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 pm 
Pro Stocker

Very cool Phillip, you are one of the guys that prodded my interest in the quest for speed and quickness. Your youngster is a lucky young man, to have such a mentor. My boys are 7 and 10 and the talk has already begun about what we are going to do. It will be fun watching the updates of another build from you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:43 pm 
Frequent Racer

nice!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:06 pm 
Dragway Regular

Good to see you and your son enjoying a project together. Thanks again for your work on this site.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:56 pm 
Pro Stocker

looks like an interesting project.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:15 pm 
Amateur Racer

Good luck with the project. Some of my best memories are my dad and I wrenching.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 am 
Top Fueler

very nice phillip

personally, i'd left the stock driveline in it until sometime after he gets his license...16 yr olds shouldn't not have 14, almost 13second cars to start out with...i'm glad i didn't, or i wouldn't still have my car

nothing against him or you at all, just friends at that age tend to provoke "pushing" the cars limits, i know my friends did, of course, i couldn't help but push the car too

i'm glad i started slow, made me respect what i have more now

Undergoing Toyota aluminum 4L V8 swap
--'84 Bonneville...

Past Malibus,
-79 Malibu 4dr
-79 Malibu 2dr
-80 Malibu 4dr
-79 Malibu 4dr
-83 Malibu 4dr

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

glad to see your back in action with a malibu,sounds like fun

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:00 am 
MalibuRacing.com Founder

malibuguy wrote:
very nice phillip

personally, i'd left the stock driveline in it until sometime after he gets his license...16 yr olds shouldn't not have 14, almost 13second cars to start out with...i'm glad i didn't, or i wouldn't still have my car

nothing against him or you at all, just friends at that age tend to provoke "pushing" the cars limits, i know my friends did, of course, i couldn't help but push the car too

i'm glad i started slow, made me respect what i have more now

That is my main concern. I was 16 once, and I was definitely a daredevil, so I'm fully aware of what I could be possibly facing. I'm hoping that since he has a big investment (labor) into the car, he'll take better care of it. At least think twice about doing something stupid. We'll just have to see how he does. With teenagers, it's always a crapshoot. You raise them the best you know how, but they have to spread their wings eventually. I'll just need to keep a close eye on him....

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 am 

Hey Phil,

Been waiting to see how this turns out!

I have a 15 year old too, he wants a Camaro like the 67-69 only.

One of his buddies came over and said cool car on the Malibu (we just bought an 81 a few months back) so now once this car gets on the road i'm sure he will want to learn more abot it...LOL

Only problem is he doesn't have the patience needed to start spinning wrenches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » GENERAL » MalibuRacing Father/Son Project