6-71

h2opunk182

Weekend Racer
Nov 8, 2008
Seaford, NY
So i might be able to get my hands on a dyers (i think) 6-71 for a good price, now the question i have is i have the gmpp 350/290 crate engine.. will the engine hold up?...

Im currently looking for a better motor, but i want something to play with now then do the swap of the engine over the winter

h2opunk182

Weekend Racer
Nov 8, 2008
Seaford, NY
So i just bought this motor.. will a 6-71 be happy with that set-up?

I have a brand new Chevy 383 Stroker Motor with ZERO miles. I just bought a big block and I have no use for it. I bought the motor brand new 3 years ago for about $4200 from an engine builder in Arkansas. Here's what it's got. 4 Bolt Main 11:1 Compression Speed Pro Forged Pistons Forged Rods with ARP Bolts Eagle Steel Crank ZZ Gapdura Moly File Fit RIngs Clevite 77 Tri-Metal Rod and Main bearings Comp Cams Solid Lifter Cam 555/555 Lift....248/248 Duration at .050 with a 106 centerline Cloyes True Roller Timing Chain Comp Cams Cam Locks Comp Cams XE Chrome Moly Pushrods Dyna Gear oil pump and pick up Moroso 7qt oil pan ARP Rocker Studs Dart Pro 1 Aluminum Heads with 2.05/1.60 Valves Scorpion 1.5 Roller Rockers Polished Victor Jr. Intake SFI Flywheel Balancer The motor was dynoed by the builder and produced 492 horsepower @ 6200rpm and 552 ft/lbs torque @ 5100rpm. I lost the dyno sheets though. The motor was run in car but never driven. The cam sounds great...real lopey idle. I'm not full of crap or trying to sell junk. This motor has zero miles and is a bargain. It's intake to pan...put in a distributor and carb and go have fun. Any questions please feel free to email me. Price is neg but no low ballers please.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
The setup sounds good except for the cam and comperssion, for the big blowers you can get away with with a lobe seperation of 110 but 112-114 are better and get the compression down to about 8.5-1 and that should be good.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
bowtie81 said:
The setup sounds good except for the cam and comperssion, for the big blowers you can get away with with a lobe seperation of 110 but 112-114 are better and get the compression down to about 8.5-1 and that should be good.
X2 It would be a slug with that cam, all the boost would go out the exhaust...ask me how I know.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
So your getting rid of the sbc and going to build the bbc?.!
A 6-71 on a bbc is a stretch. Depending on which blower you have you may may to turn is really hard to fill a bbc. I am not a fan of the old air heaters anyway.
We just finished a small bbc with a single turbo that made over 1700hp.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
a 6-71 is alittle big for a relatively stock motor... it's bigger than most people give it credit for..

Chris K.

h2opunk182

Weekend Racer
Nov 8, 2008
Seaford, NY
I just got screwed out of that motor, so now i still have the 350/290.. so gotta keep my eyes open for something.1700 sounds amazing, but 1 way outa my pricerange 2ithout even asking and 2, wayyyy to much for the street

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
h2opunk182 said:
I just got screwed out of that motor, so now i still have the 350/290.. so gotta keep my eyes open for something.1700 sounds amazing, but 1 way outa my pricerange 2ithout even asking and 2, wayyyy to much for the street

Depends on a couple of things. Rods, rods bolts, and pistons. Ring gaps as well. What do you have with the blower? Pulleys, Intake, anything. A sbc and a 6-71 could be fun.

h2opunk182

Weekend Racer
Nov 8, 2008
Seaford, NY
the blower comes with everything, but im just worried b/c i have a 100% stock block except for an electric water pump, that its gonna blow up

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
As long as you stay conservative with the boost and timing, the only thing you should have to worry about will be the balancer. I have seen a single keyed stock balancer break turning a 6-71. The devil is in the tune, and from my experience boost is WAY more forgiving than nitrous.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!