some N00b question on NOS

The Chief

Daily Driver
May 8, 2015
so this would be my first car that i would like to put some Nos on and i need suggestions on how much it can handle the specs on the motor are as follows:

-The engine is a ZZ4 crate engine with Fast Burn heads & LT4 HOT cam. Induction is an Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap with a Holley 770 Street Avenger vacuum secondary carb.
- The Fuel System consists of a Holley Black fuel pump and regulator
- Ignition is Performance Distributors HEI/ MSD box
- TH350 with the 1-2 shif kit no trans break and stock converter
- GN 8.5 373 posi

- Main question is, can i piggy back of the main elec pump, or should i run a separate cell and pump?
- wat kinda system would work better for the street? plate or fogger?

thanks in advance

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
that black pump will supply enough fuel. Others may not agree but i've done it and with alot more motor than you have. Two regulators is a good idea. Does it have forged pistons?
Brian

The Chief

Daily Driver
May 8, 2015
thanks for the answer, i didn't build the motor, so I'm not sure if it has forged pistons
prairiehotrodder said:
that black pump will supply enough fuel. Others may not agree but i've done it and with alot more motor than you have. Two regulators is a good idea. Does it have forged pistons?
Brian

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Unless they have been changed out, the zz4 has hyper-u-tectic pistons. As far as the fuel, I agree with Prairie. How much do you intent to inject? Timing with those pistons is a lil bit more critical.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
this is where the debate begins....lol. hypereutectic pistons and nitrous don't mix in a lot of people's opinion. others say you can spray ANYTHING with a 150 HP shot. i guess it depends on your risk tolerance.

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Not arguing that and I agree with what you are saying. I wouldn't be afraid to spray that with cast stockers either but you still need to dial in your timing, that's all I'm saying.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Hit it with 150 max. Pull 6 deg of timing. Run a separate regulator for the N20, you should always check flowing fuel pressure and have 5 psi min. Ideally you want a stand alone fuel system but you can run it with one. Dont engage it under 3 k rpm, Try to keep bottle pressure around 950 psi. Go a couple steps colder on the plugs (non projected tip).

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
psychomotors said:
Not arguing that and I agree with what you are saying. I wouldn't be afraid to spray that with cast stockers either but you still need to dial in your timing, that's all I'm saying.

I wasn't really replying to your post. You're absolutely correct though. Better have your tune right with those pistons.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I have a 383 with hypers. Sprayed for a couple years with a 100 shot pulling 4 degs. of timing out. Just sprayed it last week with a 150 shot pulling 6 degs. of timing out. I have a separate 1 gal. fuel cell and pump up front for the NOS. I installed a window switch, sprays 2800 to 6000 rpm's. Colder plugs.

82wagon

Weekend Racer
Mar 31, 2010
NEW2MALIBU said:
I have a 383 with hypers. Sprayed for a couple years with a 100 shot pulling 4 degs. of timing out. Just sprayed it last week with a 150 shot pulling 6 degs. of timing out. I have a separate 1 gal. fuel cell and pump up front for the NOS. I installed a window switch, sprays 2800 to 6000 rpm's. Colder plugs.
Could you post some pics of your stand alone fuel system? I'd like to set something like that up on my car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!