Right cam for 144 supercharger?

Jetmech

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2013
After a good two weeks of reading I'm still not confident in my decision. I'm thinking this guy here or a size smaller. Don't throw rocks this is my first supercharger and I'm definitely ignorant on the subject. A roller set up is not in the cards so no reason to waist your time trying to convince me. Thanks, Danny
Lunati p/n 10120806
Flat tappet
"Advertised duration"
I .303
E .313
Duration @ .050
I .234
E .244
Lift
I .488
E .509
LSA 112
Motor is a 355, flat top not forged. Heads are aluminum pro comp 64cc chamber, 210cc intake runner, 80cc exhaust runner. 2.02 & 1.60 valves. A blueprinted & worked 750 dp with mechanical secondaries. Msd ignition system with retard box. 700r4 trans( will match stall with cam) 373 gears, car weighs 3260.

TTLSX418

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
Have you talked to any cam manufacturers? I got my cam from a local company, but they do business all over the country. All I did was basically give all the information that you gave us, and they cut me a custom cam for my set-up. A week later and about $420 bucks, it was in my motor.

Typically blower cams seem a more radical LSA than what that cam has, it looks like the cam that was in the mild 350 I built for my wagon a long time ago. Normally blower cams run around a 116 degree LSA.

Jetmech

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2013
I've been on hold with a couple manufacturers & got tired of waiting. I have done a ton of reading & this cam seems to be really close, Holley recommended this cam on their web sight just had an older p/n. seems most everything I've read LSA should be between 112-114, bds actually shows 110 LSA on their recommended cams. Maybe ill have to get a specific grind, but for 5 lbs of boost I would think a custom grind is a little excessive.

TTLSX418

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
All cam grinds were custom before the manufacturers figured out they could work on a broad spectrum of builds. If you are looking for something that is specific to your build, and your build alone getting a custom grind is the easiest way to get the best match for your motor. Purchasing a cookie cutter cam is easy, you are going to get the best results on a custom grind.

However, if you are only running 5lbs of boost, it might be a little excessive. Up to you.

Jetmech

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2013
This motor came in the car and its not what it was supposed to be. With that being said I'm just Gona have some fun with what I have here, just wanted to get the motor close to being happy & drivable.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Hey Danny, that cam will work just fine for a small blower like ours. I just put another one in my motor which is a summit cam part # sum1108.
Summit has that exact same cam your looking at for a fraction of the cost. The 110 lobe separation that BDS talks about is more for the big huffers, the small ones like the 112-114.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetmech

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2013
Thanks bowtie, that's money that I can put else where! How much boost do you run and much timing retard is really necessary on these little guys?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Jetmech said:
Thanks bowtie, that's money that I can put else where! How much boost do you run and much timing retard is really necessary on these little guys?
Before i rebuilt the blower i was getting 4lbs, but it should be anywhere from 6-8lbs now. Timing retard will help if you already have it, I run without one and set my timing at 16 initial and total of 44, these little guys like total timing in the 40's.

Jetmech

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2013
Wow, I would think that much timing would create detonation. I've got a lot to learn about these little units. I'm excited about seeing what happens with the little motor, if all goes well this summer I plan on adding a little Snyper nos system by the fall, if it stays together... Lol! Thanks bud,

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Do you know what your running for compression? I'm running the high side of the normal range for compression about 9.5-1 with the k1108 summit cam. I'm running a top pulley of 3.05" and 6" lower, if you put a little bottle on it it will surely love it. You also may want to look into water/meth injection.
I have a few tech manuals for these blowers aswell. Let me know if I can help at all.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!