Oil Cooler need advice

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
I posted this in the poweradders forum because my oil cooks when I run my supercharger.

The motor is a BBC 1/2 filled.
I probably can get 20 minutes of regular driving in before the oil temp is 260, the oil goes up fast when i'm moving, when I stop the temps seem to stay steady.

I was on jegs.com and looked through the coolers. The only brand that looked like it may work was canton. The canton cooler is 1.5"x11"x11" 29,000 btu aluminum. jegs # 23-520 The sandwich adapter i found was part # 22-544 . The question is both the cooler and the sandwich adapter are only 1/2" opennings. I am not sure if this is enough. I read somewhere folks are saying to go with -10an line. Also i'm wondering if I should relocate the filter? The sandwich adapter says it only lowers the filter by 1.5" which isn't to much. I run a tall filter, so i would just go to a short one and i should be ok. I was also looking into the socketless hoses instead of the braided. The socketless I hear is much easer to work with and holds a high pressure. I just wonder if tech would pass me at a race track with it?

Does anyone have any other brands/ products that would work better? Any photo's of their setup?

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It ain't cheap, but the best oil cooler setup is a thermostatically controlled water-to-oil cooler. If you have a manual trans you can get a radiator made with one built in. if not you can go external. Either way, 290* oil sure is a problem.

Tommy

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
I've been going through some different sites looking at coolers. I found a oil adapter sandwich that runs a -10an line and looks like it'll flow nice. Thats $100. I'm thinking about using socketless line, just to try it out, since i've heard it works nice. I am not sure if tech will pass it though (race track). The coolers i've found range from 200$-$400, i'm just wondering if their going to knock the temp down, and keep it around 210. I have an automatic trans th400, with reverse manual valve body. The oil/ water cooler probably would be way outta my price range :(

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!