First time on spray I had to lift @ 1000'

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I'm no expert on anything but I'm no dummy either. I only sprayed the car once for the first time this past sunday with 150. It was totally shocking and caught me off guard how fast the rpm's shot up. I always ran just motor til sunday. Anyway...I left my rev limiter @ 6700. It ran 11.14 @ 114 coasting through the traps after I let off. I have 3.90 gears with 28" MT ET DRs. I had to let off at 1000' cause I was on the rev limiter already. I normal run mid 11's on motor going through the traps @ 5800rpm. On motor I need more rear gear, but on nitrous I was way over what I expected the rpms to be.
What do you guys think the final rpm would be If I ran it til the end on spray? I dont have a high winding motor but I dont have crap internals either. I'm not looking to blew it up. ](*,)

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i think it's time to up the rev limiter and give 'er! probably not the same...but in case it helps....i was worried to run my car past 6000 rpm, so i was letting off (holding it to 6,000 rpm) around the 1000' mark as well. i eventuall got sick of that and just kept in it. the car goes through the traps at around 6200-6300. i'm not spraying it or anything, so i'm sure there's a bit of a difference. i'd guess that you'd be crossing around 7,000 rpm.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I have and Eagle 4340 nitrided crank, SRP Pistons and Eagle I beam rods (the weakpoint). I'm not to comfortable spinning it to 7000-7200. But hey I shift it at 6500 constantly, it might be fine. so I might go back Sunday and try it again for the last time this year. Raise the limiter to What??

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
I have run mine at 6900 with stock crank and rods fitted with arp bolts.Not saying its a smart thing to do but mines run forever like that.I know guys running circle track motors spinning them to 6700 all night on stock componentsin the bottom end.

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
tighter converter. what do you currently run?

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
First time on spray... fun huh? R's come up quick for sure. Before you get too busy did you read the plugs after the run? Did you run the "right" plugs for nitrous? (non projected nose with a short ground strap ((Autolite AR 134's are good starting point))) The plugs will tell you everything you need to know about "what to expect". The heat mark will get your timing right, coloring (or lack of it) will guide you for jets.(in the plate) This is assuming that you were "on the money" when you were on motor. Once you are sure it is "happy", run it out. I don't imagine it is going to rev much more , unless you have a really loose converter like 454 rat suggested.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
No i didn't read the plugs. I always ran the AR plugs. It was a lot of fun!! I did get to the track again on Dec 4. I raised the limiter to 7200 It ran 10.89 @ 129 mph when I hit the arm switch in second gear and it kicked in it was GONE !! LOL Through the traps the rpm was about 7000.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Sounds like you had a blast.. I'd be scared to death running my engine up that high, but if it's built for it, then ...should be no biggie....

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Nitrous is one of those things that until you try it, it is overwhelming. Once you figure out the basics (covered in the instructions that come with the kit) you can tune it fairly easy. See here:
http://youtu.be/EAuAuIhRQd4
Brown_Gbody, I hit a stock 350 with a 100 shot pretty regular, on a very safe tune up. With 3.73's it stays below 6,000 rpm on 28's. So, come on over!

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
art said:
, I hit a stock 350 with a 100 shot pretty regular, on a very safe tune up.
I used to blow 250 on a stock bottom end 400 small block. Like any power adder, it is in the tune. When you get too greedy, it can...or will go boom.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!