327 Build Questions

Hooligans

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
Belfair, WA
I am going to finally build a motor for my 83' Elco. Now I know its not everyones first choice but I have had this block since my father has passed so I am really not looking to build anything else.

65' small journal 327... block is currently bored to .040 over so she will be bumped to .060. I also have the forged crank that came along with her. Now I am not building a drag car... but my plans are for a Pro Charged street car.

ProCharger says that a 8.5:1 to 9.0:1 works best on running engines with 8-10 PSI of boost. I had recently purchased a rebuild kit with forged pistons running 9.07:1. I have a NIB Performer RPM intake that I am hoping will work with this application. I am looking into the ProCharger P-1SC or the D-1SC for my options.

Now for the questions.....

1. Pro Charger claims that a cam using 112-114 degree lobe separation and exhaust duration 10-12 greater than intake duration is optimum. What cam would be recommended using this setup?

2. Heads.. I have a set of 65' Camel humps. Is it even worth the time and expense it will cost to build these?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
go with a comp cam nitrous cam and get a good set of flowing heads.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Money is well spent on custom stick. Look at a hyd roller at min. The roller will allow much better lobes and not be limited by the lifter design. If you looking at more rpm a a solid roller would be the correct direction.

There are many much better head out there. Use the money from the camels to buy a good set of heads.

78pontiacibu

Amateur Racer
May 7, 2011
Morristown, TN
www.facebook.com
I'd look into a good set of heads such as dart pro 1s or something of that nature. Call the cam company of your choice and tell them what you are building and have one custom ground. You'll be glad you did.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!