Ebay turbos (Yikes?!?)

Classiccarman

Daily Driver
Sep 21, 2011
I know I know, ebay?
I have read forums and googled for hours and I get very little real world input. Everyone says they are junk, they will blow up, they wont make any power, but none of the naysayers has any experience with them.
The only one I have seen was the 55 in car craft that actually ran them and made really good power. Aldso in this months car craft there is an S10 blazer running ebay turbos and hes going low 10's!! So what I'm looking for is real world experience with them. Have YOU ran them? or someone you know directly and have experience with the car?

I'm not looking to put down 900 HP, but I'm not looking to blow up the first time out either. I'm thinking mild small block, 10 pounds of boost and nothing more exotic than that.

Can anyone chip in real world experience other than "I heard they were crap" ??

I'm interested in both good and bad, but I'm not interested in all the heresay.

Thanks in advance,

Scot

Classiccarman

Daily Driver
Sep 21, 2011
28 views and not one reply?

Here is my plan. I think I'm going to go for it. I'll do a nice write up on the installation and some testing. That way, there is proof out there whether they suck, or work pretty good for the money.

Scot

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I have no experience with E bay turbos. But I do have experience with cheap parts. You get what you pay for. Its better to buy good parts and sleep better at night. Just my .02

Black Mamba

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
ROCKFORD,IL
Scot,

I plan on purchasing the so-called Ebay junk turbo(s). I've done a some research, and learned the turbo(s) included in the SBC kit can be rebuilt by blasstperformance.com to exact Garrett turbo specifications. I've spoke with this company on several occassions, and they seem to be reputable. I guess the seals seem to be the major problem with the Far East turbos. It's not that expensive to have the turbos rebuilt, so why not give it a try.

Check this link out http://youtu.be/xGxIUaZCVCo or if it doesn't work search youtube " How to make Ebay Turbos work " by Hgallegos915 and you will also find links to people that have or are currently uses these turbos, and can give genuine real-life feedback! Keep me posted bud.

I'm done,
Kino

Drfade27

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2008
Hammond, Chicago
IM gonna order the ebay kit minus the turbos, i have my turbos already!

xxxfoxbody

Weekend Racer
Jun 29, 2011
cecilia, ky. 42724
i read up on it some, it seems to be its the wastegate that helps these turbos and not the built in actuators. if running the the ebay forward facing turbo headers, they make a wastegate spacer that sandwiches between the header and the turbo. this way you can control the boost alot better.

Classiccarman

Daily Driver
Sep 21, 2011
Ed Cannon said:
I have no experience with E bay turbos. But I do have experience with cheap parts. You get what you pay for. Its better to buy good parts and sleep better at night. Just my .02

Am I expecting brand name performance? No. Am I expecting to have fun? yes :)

We have a local group of guys around here that try and go as fast as possible on the cheap. We call it Joe Dirt Racing. The idea with JDR is to buy used/inexpensive parts and see how well you can make it go with minimal investment. I have been high 7's in an 84 camaro that was naturally aspirated and all under 3K. The goal here is to continue that tradition with inexpensive parts and see where it gets me. I have another freind that through buying gently used/divorce specials etc. that is now in the high 6's in the eigth, naturally aspirated small block. All for under 10K.

An example would be:
used shortblock, 500.00
Used ported heads 400.00
Summit brand cam 150.00 with lifters
procomp intake ebay 150.00
Used holley 830 225.00
Swapmeet MSd ign. 200.00
Used headers 50.00
Used turbo 350 100.00
Shift kit 40.00
Used converter 250.00
Welded up rearend FREE

This was the basic formula for my 7 second 3rd gen camaro. That and strip everything that wasn't nailed down or welded in out of the car, race weight was 2800 LBS.

I also have a wife, 2 kids and make a firefighters income so the idea of buying "good" parts usually doesnt fit into my budget.

Believe it or not, we all can't afford 10,000.00 long blocks, 4,000.00 turbo setups, and 3,000.00 rearends and trannies.

It is possible for those of us on a really restricted budget to still have fun.

Scot

Black Mamba

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
ROCKFORD,IL
Drfade27 said:
IM gonna order the ebay kit minus the turbos, i have my turbos already!

DrFade,

Please share which ebay vendor will sell the kit minus the turbos, I won a storage auction, and it had a turbonetics turbo, and brand new Victor " E " Manifold sitting in a old box with tons of mice poop. :eek:

I'm done.
Kino

Drfade27

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2008
Hammond, Chicago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170611258199?item=170611258199&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!