Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Power Adders

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 pm 
Dragway Regular

Maybe he ain't got $600 just sitting around? I sure don't ,lol. I gotta couple Holeset H1Cs that I'm gonna get around to using one of these days. They was free from a buddy.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
Frequent Racer

psychomotors wrote:
Maybe he ain't got $600 just sitting around? I sure don't ,lol. I gotta couple Holeset H1Cs that I'm gonna get around to using one of these days. They was free from a buddy.

It looks to me like he is planning on buying some...at least that was how I read his first post. Now, why would you spend $450ish for some cheap chiwaneze Garrett knock offs? I would much rather scrape together another $150 and have a turbo that will make proven power.

But no one ever listens to me...I don't know why a forum would be different than real life :lol: . I might see trying it if you already had them laying around, but we are talking about $150. If it were $1500, then I wouldn't be here talking about it. If $150, or even $350, makes or breaks the budget with a hot rod, you are playing in the wrong hobby. That or don't have the patience for the hobby. You could scratch that number together delivering pizzas on the weekend, or even picking up cans on the side of the road.

As for your H1Cs they are a good quality brand name turbo, that can easily be repaired or serviced. I ran a single H2C several years ago, and it worked well on my old junk.

'86 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon 442 - 10.35 @ 68
'70 Cutlass S - 25k miles bone stock
'70 Cutlass S - high compression 350 SBO, Crane 280 cam, 425 heads, 3.90 gears

Don't ask me...people keep telling me I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited by Bad Medicine Racing on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:36 pm 
Dragway Regular

You're killin me,lol. I know what you mean by nobody listening to you. I scrap stuff like aluminum and scrap steel for extra money but times are hard and sometimes extra money just ain't easy to come by. Thats why it takes me forever to get stuff going,lol.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:43 pm 
Frequent Racer

I have personally done without the daily eat out lunches and breakfasts for many years in a effort to have a little more cash to waste on my old junk. My turbo is off of an old Detroit, my heads are old iron heads that a friend had, the crankshaft is an old Corvette piece, the block I pulled from a 1970 C-10. The roller rockers came from a friend that changed to a high dollar Jesel setup. The only new parts that went into my junk were the rods, pistons, camshaft, lifters, valve springs, and pushrods.

I have always had to budget my money to have any to spend on the Malibu. Luckily I have a VERY good wife that puts up with the stupidity, and doesn't give me any grief to speak of about it. I don't want you guys to come off thinking that I am one of the people that always has to have the newest best stuff, because that is the right opposite of the truth.

I am merely making a point that with a very small price difference you can get a proven, quality item.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:46 pm 
Dragway Regular

Understand and I agree :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:10 pm 
Daily Driver

Well, I haven't checked in here for awhile and lo and behold this thread is still alive and kicking :D.
To answer your question, the setup I am looking at is the upgraded version, it comes with a dual inlet intercooler, dual external waste gates, blow off valves, all plumbing for oil system, boost controller, headers, plumbing from turbos to intercooler, pretty much every single piece except the carb hat and plumbing from intercooler to carb. It runs 900.00 including shipping for everything. If you can get me into all that for an additional 150 bucks with name brand components i'm all ears.

I know you guys aren't crazy about this ebay stuff, but look at car craft, they have been covering turbos to death and a lot of it was ebay stuff. There was an S15 blazer in a recent issue that runs 10's with a mild small block and ebay turbos. They are popping up alover the place and the quality is getting better on them also. I have done tons and tons of research on these and fact is, everyone that has real world experience with them is pretty #### happy. I havent found a single article of someone that has actually bought them that had problems. Lots of guys that have never tried them complaining, but i don't see any where someone that actually has them had a failure. ####, Car craft pushed the setup on the 55 chev to rediculous boost levels after they got waste gate issues adressed. The power curve flattened out due to other issues, but it wasn't lack of boost pressure.

Only problem is, money is tight right now so I havent been able to come up with the cash.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:28 pm 
Top Fueler

Well, keep us posted either way... Would love to see a build thread on something like this...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm 
Daily Driver

Will do! I'm hoping to be back on track with a little cash to spend early spring.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 pm 

i know it isnt chevy relevent, buddy of mine used the ebay turbo set up on his honda and had great success with it, he used name brand waste gate, blow off valve, and boost controller and hasnt had a single problem and hes been using this car as his daily beater for the past 4 years. once he did it to his car it sold me on the idea... unfortunately i just havent gotten to it yet lol

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 pm 
Frequent Racer

Just like everyone. Looking to make 1000hp on 87 octane and spend $500 on everything. Have fun guys.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 am 
Amateur Racer

the gt45 2004k knockoff is a tough little ########, i've run mine for a couple of years with various changes and boost levels from 8-18 psi with a budget 327". it's also the only one i have seen that survives over time. the "blue tag" version is a large shaft unit, heavy but reliable. i don't know this retailer but this is the one to pull visual ques from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT45-GT-45-V-BA ... es&vxp=mtr

Board index » TECHNICAL » Power Adders