Which 4.3 motor do I need?

A

Anonymous

I am wanting to put a 4.3 motor in my 83 malibu wagon. it has a 229 3.8 in it with a 350 trans. what 4.3 motor would be best? i want something that bolts right up. i am also wanting one with a carburetor set up because i dont really know much about fuel inj. and computers. someone told me the newer 4.3's might not bolt up to my transmission and also that the newer one dont have a spot for the fuel pump because they were fuel inj. hooking up a inline fuel pump might not be a problem but i want one that fits my transmission. thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

you want a 85 or 86 4.3, they have a fuel pump hole, even the tbi ones, just look for a fuel pump cover. your 229 intake will bolt on. 87 to 95 1/2 will work with your intake and they have roller lifters, but no fuel pump hole. the bell housing is the same on all of them, even the newest ones, but I think the piolot hole changed in the crank about the year 2000.

A

Anonymous

thanks. will my tin work bolt up like the oil pan, timing chian cover? can i use my distributor off of my 3.8?

A

Anonymous

83 MALI WAGON said:
thanks. will my tin work bolt up like the oil pan, timing chian cover? can i use my distributor off of my 3.8?
your oil pan will only work on the 85 engine with the 2 piece seal, but you probly can use the pan from the 86 to 95 engin in your car. the timing cover and distributor will work.

A

Anonymous

mhamilton said:
v8s10dave said:
distributor will work.

The 229 dist is semi-odd fire, 4.3L is even fire... you need a 4.3 distributor.
the distibutor WILL work, I have done it myself. just hook the plugwires corectly

A

Anonymous

can I use the flywheel off of my 3.8? what about the torque converter? exhaust manifolds? again, thanks for all you guys help

A

Anonymous

I also read that 4.3's and 3.8's share the same firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2, so there would be no difference right?

A

Anonymous

83 MALI WAGON said:
can I use the flywheel off of my 3.8? what about the torque converter? exhaust manifolds? again, thanks for all you guys help
The flywheel will only fit the 85 2 piece seal engine, you can use a flywheel from a 86 or 87 4.3 monte carlo on the newer motor. the torque converter and exhaust manifolds will work just fine. your welcome, I enjoy helping.

A

Anonymous

83 MALI WAGON said:
I also read that 4.3's and 3.8's share the same firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2, so there would be no difference right?
that is right, the old 70s motors are odd fire.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!