Anybody build up a 229 V6?

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
I'm enjoying driving my "new" 80 El Camino with a 229 V6 and a 3 speed Saginaw so much that I'm tempted to build up the V6. If I convert the Elco to an electric vehicle, I could store the engine and build it up to replace the 4.3 in Darwin once the Skylark's done. Otherwise I might convert the S-10 and play with the Elco on the side.

Has anybody really done a quasi performance buildup on a 229? I was thinking of headers, a dual exhaust and either a K&N air cleaner on the 2bbl or a performer intake with a 390cfm Holley. I know M Hamilton was thinking of it, but what has been done with this engine?

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
The only one I have run across is this guy with a 229 in a Midget: http://www.britishv8.org/MG/HankKleban.htm

Looks like a high rpm horsepower maker on his build, to get those kind of figures.

A

Anonymous

beleave it or not, i took a 1988 astro van with a tbi system on it, i replaced the motor with a 2000 4.3 vortec, i had to get a new intake and tbi adaptor, van had 3.90 rears, and a 3" single flowmaster setup. that sob would run. best time at the track with no ajusting was a 13.90, 101 mph, that 4000 + pounds box going down the road, also pulled 5000 lb boat with little trouble.

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
I have read about the Midget in question. Its sort of the opposite thing from what I would ever consider, particularly for a relatively heavy intermediate. Still interesting in its own way.

A

Anonymous

I still have a 229 V6 in my Malibu, also have the Eldelbrock intake and a 500 or 450 cfm Edelbrock carb sitting on the workbench. One of these days I will install it.

Trickbu

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Way too big a carb for that!!!!!!

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
I always wanted to build one a 229 with a custom sheetmetal intake and webbers for a rat rod. maybe someday... Im sure I could get a free "core" engine from someone! LOL!

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
Yeah, if I was going to put a 4 barrel on it I'd be inclined for the 390cfm Holley 4160, realistically I'd just see what I could do with the std 2bbl with a more efficient air cleaner.

The other option would be a tbi setup, but I'm not sure I could find an efi distribby for the semi-even-fire engine. I have heard of somebody who used a 200/229 distributor in a carbureted 262 and was reasonably happy :-k , but that could be that his standards were lower than mine.

A

Anonymous

80ECLT said:
Way too big a carb for that!!!!!!

Well it's the Edelbrock carb and what they recomend, I was intially going to get the Holley 390 CFM, but I can accross the Edelbrock carb at a super bargain.

I still gotta find those exhaust manifolds of a 85 or so Full size truck w the 4.3 and add them to the pile for the project.

Trickbu

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!