Fuel Injection Options???

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
80ECLT, you suggested in the valvetrain topic that if I really was interested in maximizing my mpg I should consider converting Darwin to a GM TBI system. Its tempting, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea as I imagine that it would require reprogramming the injection system's electronic brain to match my slightly modified engine. There is also the matter of wiring the fuel injection into a car that was designed to use a carburetor. How did you do that with the port type in your Elco?

I have often been intrigued by the systems offered by Affordable Fuel Injection. The selling points for me is that they design their systems for retrofit onto carbureted engines and that they program the injection system's brain to match the specs of your engine. Supposedly they are even willing to take a 2nd or 3rd cut at programming the chip if the first one proves problematic. I have done a little web research and main thing I've learned is that one of the principals is a moderator on several 4wd boards involving efi. The little I've seen besides that is favorable, and their website and installation instructions seem reasonable enough that they may actually be legit. They sell two different systems that I have considered.

TBI Injection: This is a 2 barrel throttle body injector fitted with an adapter plate for use in a square bore 4 barrel carb manifold. The system comes with its own distributor and is supposedly calibrated for one's specific engine.

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/index.php?id=24&title=Chevy+Throttle+Body+Fuel+Injection

Multiport Fuel Injection: This one is built on an Edelbrock Performer carbureted manifold, either the 2111 or 2114 depending on which engine you have. The fuel injection bungs are apparently epoxied into the manifold. Again it comes with an electronic distributor and is supposedly calibrated for one's specific engine.

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/index.php?id=33&title=Chevy+Multi+Port+Fuel+Injection

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
The multiport would be sweet!!!

I have a harness from Howell engine managment. it is a stand alone engine harness. I had them burn a chip to match my build up. It is garanteed, or they will make another one. It was pricy, about 750 all together. They make a TBI harness aswell, you would need a tbi tistrubutor(I have 2 if you need one) and a TBI manifold, or an adaptor for your performer. I have a TBI 4.3 ECM if you do decide to go that route aswell. Or you can get an ECM from Howell with a warrantee. they can also eliminate VSS sensors, emittions sensors, and mask other features you may not need, like AC idel switch, and so on.

You may also want to check out Megasquirt. It is a build it yoursefl FI system. FI can pull an overdrive gear better than carb. ='ing better mileage, and better driveability.

You could even pick up a whole running s10 TBI and use it for parts. That is what I did with my Vortec. I picked up a whole truck, took what I needed, and sold the rest for a huge profit. 300 for the truck + all the parts I wanted + 1200 for the parts I sold= 900 profit, and a core engine! LOL!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!