For ECLT ;)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0210_43l_chevy_v6_vortechs_supercharger_install/index.html

113_0210_blown00_z.jpg

;)

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
thats cool, i bet people would be P!$#d if you beat them with a V6.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Sweet!, but wait til you see mine! I will take pics tonight. I have the heads and intake on it now... It looks even more exotic that that one! 8)

But it is N/A.

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
I get that all the time.

Doober,

I get that all the time from my neighbor Larry. He has a friend that has an Eaton supercharger on his Mazda PU. He thinks I need to add one of those to Darwin. :roll:

The devil with this sort of setup is in the details, particularly the interference between the carb box and the distribby. Hot Rod solved the problem by going with a fancy Electromotive HPX distributorless ignition system and I wonder how well THAT would work in the real world of a daily driver. :? If I were inclined to descend into blower madness, I'd start with an EFI system (probably an Affordable Fuel Injection system based on the Edelbrock 2111 manifold) with either my lightly modified 85 heads (3 angle valve job) or a set of 96 & later Vortec heads (with the Edelbrock 2114 manifold) and a carb bonnet instead of the blower box. I'd run no more than 8psi and hopefully get around 260hp & probably 200hp at the rear wheels. :twisted:

Darwin's Keeper

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
T5MalibuWagon said:

I used to do that all the time when I had my Grand Prix GTP. Mustang guys hated that car and would refuse to line up against it. It wasn't super quick, but enough to whoop the lightly modded Stangs pretty good.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Al said:
T5MalibuWagon said:

I used to do that all the time when I had my Grand Prix GTP. Mustang guys hated that car and would refuse to line up against it. It wasn't super quick, but enough to whoop the lightly modded Stangs pretty good.

:lol:

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Here is mine so far

11_17_07025.jpg

More pics in the general descussion section!

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
That's sweet 80ECLT. I'd love to know a few more details.

My understanding is that your heads are pre 96 Vortec style. Do you think a manifold like yours would fit an early 85-86 style engine? Just curious.

Also, what style rockers are you using. The reason I ask is that I ran across a thread in the H.A.M.B. where a guy improved the performance of a Chevy 305 by swapping in a set of Comp 1.52 roller rockers and then improved both performance & mpg even further by replacing the 1.52s with 1.60s for the exhaust side. I'm wondering if I might have similar gains with my new milder cam by doing the same thing.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494

Keep up the good work!!!

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Yes, it would physically fit, the differences are that yours have different heads, a flat tappet cam, and no balance shaft.

There are 3 types of 4.3 heads from the factory. The original ones, 85-91 (swirl port) heads, the 92-95 L35 "early vortec" heads (the ones I have), and the 96-up "real" Vortec heads, which have a different bolt pattern. The real vortec heads are a spitting image or the SBC vortec heads, but 6 cyl instead of 8.

I am using comp cams magnum roller tip rockers. 1.6 ratio. The stock L35 cam, along with these 1.6 rockers gives me a .480 lift.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
80 ECLT! That intake is trick looking! I like the idea of all the room you'll have in the engine bay after the install. All that room for maybe turbos? hmmm... mpg, reliability, and torque! I don't have the courage to try the V6 swap just yet, and with all my small block collection it's just cheaper and more convenient for me to swap my 305 for a mild vortec 350. Sheesh, if I can ever get that thing out of 'bodyshop prison' !!! I'm following your build and I'm anxious to see the finished result. It's going to be nice for sure.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!