What are you running and why did you choose a V6?

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
I thought a fun way of starting this off was to see why different people chose to build up a V6 and what kind of setups they're running.

I chose to go with a V6 in Darwin partly because she originally came with a V6 and it seemed right to stick with one; partly because I planned to run a manual steering box and I wanted to save weight over the nose but mostly because I wasn't looking for that much power and I wanted to be different.

Because my little red wagon is fairly heavy (measured curb weight 3470lb) and came with a 2.73 rear gear, I decided to go with a 4.3L and build it conservatively. Thus the cam is a Comp 252H grind (206/206 [email protected]; .425/.425 lift@valves; 110 separation) and my only head work is a 3 angle valve job. The engine inhales through a 465 cfm Holley 4160 on a Edelbrock Performer 2111 intake manifold and exhales through a pair of Hooker 2143 ceramic coated headers, a 2.50 dia dual exhaust system and Flow Tech turbo mufflers. The spark is currently lighted by a Proform HEI.

000_0218.jpg

I'm generally happy with Darwin's performance, but I'd like a little better mileage and low end performance, so I'm planning to swap in a milder cam, a smaller carb and a windage tray this winter. Future plans call for upgrading the ignition, replacing the 3 speed Saginaw box with a Camaro T5 and eventually upgrading the interior. I may get to fiberglass bumpers and paint one of these days.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
I chose a V6 because SBC has been beaten to death. Dont get me wrong, I love em, but I wanted to see what I could do with one of these six shooters. I chose a 4.3 because I could use the CPI injection, which looks exotic, And is a high performance platform to start with. I guess timm will tell if it works out well. But 250 hp in a 3100# car with a 4 speed manual, and 3.23's should be fun enough!

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
S/C might be an option for mine someday.... when I have an extre $1,800 just lying around.....

A

Anonymous

Mine came with the V-6 in it, and I wondered if it would run, then I decided to use it for daily transportation.

Trickbu

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
Pictures of my V6 here: http://mikesradios.googlepages.com/malibu.htm

Kept the 6 because I use it as a daily driver, commuting 100 miles round trip. Have seen as good as 24 mpg on a long highway trip, even with the a/c running.

I would definitly like to improve this engine, I think 3.8L should be capable of more than 115 hp. Right now it has a very annoying wrist pin tick, and has vibration issues. I plan to rebuild it again, this time will bring it back to GM specs. Want to see what a light port and polish will do to improve power and economy. A few more hp would be very nice. Have thought about a roller tappet cam, but in a stock profile. I'd like to be done with the flat tappet oil issues.

-Michael

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Yeah, X2 on the roller cams. They arnt using zinc in the oil anymore, and that will wipe out flat tappets like nobodies business... But I am sure someone must make an additive. If you do go flat tappet, get Real GM lifters. They hold up better!

Mean87SS

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Central, NJ
GN motor..... :)

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
80ECLT said:
They arnt using zinc in the oil anymore, and that will wipe out flat tappets like nobodies business... But I am sure someone must make an additive.

Have seen so many discussions on this... but you're right, it comes down to the zinc (ZDDP). I've been running a flat tappet in the rebuilt 229 for 5 years/38,000 miles now with no wear issues. I have been using diesel engine oil, 15w40, which used to have the high zinc content. I'm sure you know that diesel oils are now having zinc removed as well.

GM makes a breakin additive "Engine Oil Supplement" (EOS) which has plenty of ZDDP and can be added to regular oil. I do that in the winter with SM/SL 10w30. Have also heard of quite a few other oil additives--STP, Valvoline, etc, which are supposed to do the same thing.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!