4.3 V6/manual trans swap question

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
OK, I'm not sure if anyone else has ever asked about this, so bear with me. Does anyone here know if there is an aftermarket wiring harness to install a fuel injected 4.3 V6 with a manual trans into a Malibu? Would I be better off to find a Monte or El Camino with the 4.3 TBI engine and work with the harness and parts from that type of car? I have a 1981 Iraqi Malibu with the carbed 229 V6/3 speed manual, and with the price of gas going the way it is, I'm tossing around the idea of a fuel injected V6/manual trans swap for something that will still be fun to drive, but better on fuel than a V8. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
In my computer controlled carbureted MCSS, I just disconnected the items that were related to the automatic, with no ill effects. Off the top of my head, there were only 2 items: transmission and the P/N sensor on the steering column. With the P/N sensor disconnected, the computer thinks the car is in gear.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
Thanks very much for your help T5. I've been doing some research since I posted the question. Both Howell Engine Developments and Painless Wiring list harnesses for TBI engine swaps, but the harnesses look at bit generic. Just wondering if I'd be better off to deal with something more vehicle-specific, like the Monte oe El Camino TBI harness, and just modify it for the manual trans. Maybe even a harness for an S10 or Blazer with the TBI 4.3 V6 and manual trans might be a possibility.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
I did it. I used a howel EFI harness and had them take the auto trans lingo out of the computer. This is on a CPI engine not a TBI though.. The bad news is that you lose your VSS signal. but there is a work around. PM me for more info if needed.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for your help. The CPI engine is rated at 200HP, isn't it? How is your car with that engine in it? I'm thinking that the car should handle a bit better with V6 in it, as opposed to a V8.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
clean8485 said:
Thanks for your help. The CPI engine is rated at 200HP, isn't it? How is your car with that engine in it? I'm thinking that the car should handle a bit better with V6 in it, as opposed to a V8.

Its hard to answer that question because the engine in my car is modified from stock in several ways. But I would be willing to bet that even a stock cpi 4.3 would be better than an stock g body engine except for a 3.8 turbo.

Weight and handeling was one factor in me swapping from v8 to v6. Yes I committed what most consider a crime in the car world...but to be fair I have more cubes now with the modified v6 than the stock 267 v8. ;)

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
just a heads up i have a engine harness from a 4.3L fi from a 86 monte carlo i dont need also have a smog pump etc ,,,, i'm thinking changing to a non comp engine

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!