4.3 swap who's done it?

cammed up v6

Daily Driver
Apr 4, 2011
im new and was throwing around the ideal of a 4.3 swap and i was just wondering whos done it and what parts were used? also pics would be helpfull as well. also is it better to carb or not to carb lol. any tip for install would be awsome

syclonefast

Daily Driver
Mar 3, 2004
bowling green ky
the chevy 4.3 and 3.8 are the same bolt in. The 4.3 has better power by far.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Carbed is easier, but TBI performance is doable with some DIY EFI-type stuff. You can probably squeeze a good 300hp or so from the 4.3, and it was OE in several later G-Bodies with TBI flavoring.

syclonefast

Daily Driver
Mar 3, 2004
bowling green ky
a stock 4.3 tbi motor pushes about 165 hp stock some good exhaust and a kn filter and spacer can get you another 20-25hp . The main problem with the tbi is it will only give you so much fuel. So going with a carb you can make much better power. Another option is a cpi 4.3 found in 92 and up s10's sonoma's,blazers. I did one for a 82 monte and it was a nice runner went mid 15's all day bone stock and pulled down 26 mpg with 3.42 gears.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You can up the fuel pressure (and run a variable FPR) along with running 454 TBI (80lb./hr.) injectors to get more fuel. At higher pressures the injectors can't control fuel flow as well (necessitating the vafpr), but currently at 25psi the injectors fueling my 383 only hit about 60% duty cycle. It's doable, but I say only worth it if you want to stick with TBI... it's a little cheaper than some of the port injection setups, but I think I'd still prefer port injection to TBI.

cammed up v6

Daily Driver
Apr 4, 2011
thanks for all the help im thinking of going carbed so it will be easy on the budget but it would be nice to get 300 horse with a card set up

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!